Petty Blue

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Anyone see the Richard Petty special "Petty Blue" on CMT? Very cool and worth watching, it is starting right now!!

I too seen it last night. Very cool with all the old footage from the beginning.

It's on here again tonight Keith, I have seen it, a must see if anyone has not seen it

I saw it last night too. Real good doc. It almost brought me to tears when the segment on Adam Petty came up. He was destined to be great.

We were at P.E. during the build up to Adams career. The place was on top of the world. Mr2.4 is right, he would have been great.

Bought the DVD when it came out a couple weeks ago. Good movie, nice to have a different perspective, although it got a bit to preachy for my taste in the last 10-15 minutes. Overall would've liked to see more cars, but then again that's always the case with me. The bonus features have some awesome race footage, including some of Petty drag racing the '64-'65 Barracuda

I always wanted to restore a raced NASCAR Stock Car. A Black #3 would be my first choice, but imagine if you could get a hold of a Petty Car. Wow!

Just remember, that Black #3 wouldn't have ever been around had it not been for Chrysler wanting to develop a dirt oval kit car, and Petty calling Humpy Wheeler from the Charlotte Speedway who told Petty to hire some kid named Earnhardt to test drive.
First career race was in a Charger owned by Ed Negre in mid 1975.
Restoring that Charger (or building a clone) would be my first choice.
...now off to the speedway in fontana for today's race. Go Jr and AJ!

Quick Joey!!! Boot Him off, a spy from the other side!!!!!:-D

LOL! Nope! Not a spy. By the time I was into NASCAR ('77-ish? I remember watching races on a green vinyl couch with my dad), Earnhardt was up and coming at that time. I've always been a fan of the #3 and I always will be. The first and only time my wife has seen me cry was after Mike Helton made the announcement that shocked the racing world. But I also recognize what the #43 brought to the table too. It wasn't one person that made NASCAR........it was a NATION! And now I must put the Stink Eye Jinx on Jimmie Johnson so he doesn't win another race! Boooyah! Jimmie! Boooyah!

Just remember, that Black #3 wouldn't have ever been around had it not been for Chrysler wanting to develop a dirt oval kit car, and Petty calling Humpy Wheeler from the Charlotte Speedway who told Petty to hire some kid named Earnhardt to test drive.
First career race was in a Charger owned by Ed Negre in mid 1975.
Restoring that Charger (or building a clone) would be my first choice.
...now off to the speedway in fontana for today's race. Go Jr and AJ!

I never knew that. I thought by '75 he was in the Wrangler Monte Carlo.

Earnhardt ran only the one race in '75 driving the Dodge for Ed Negre, then ran a few races in random Chevy's in '76 and '77, then a couple for Rod Osterlund in '78 before running full time with him in '79 and '80, where Wrangler first showed up on his car with 3 races to go in 1980, and announcing full time sponsorship for '81 on right before he won the championship at Ontario, CA. He drove Bud Moore's Fords in 1982 and 1983, only won one race. Then it was back to Childress and the rest is history.
I grew up watching this stuff, and my dad's a huge Petty fan so I am too, but I prefer the Earnhardt stuff...just wish it was more Dodge.
Leave it to me to hijack a Patty thread and talk about Earnhardt instead haha.
Petty Blue was a good movie though.

It was very good. They should of told more about why he was not winning so much, since Chrysler pulled out of NASCAR because of the rule changes. If Chrysler would of stayed without all the changes, Petty would have won alot more.

-
Back