Petty Enterprises Duster???

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has found a 1972 Duster for sale that has a fender tag that reads only "Petty Enterprises". Thats it!! The car has a 68 340, but the seller says he has the original block. The dash VIN and door sticker match, and it decodes as a 1972 Duster. Anyone ever heard of this?

Appreciate any help here.

sounds like a awsome fairy tale hope you get some info let me know I am way intrested

I've never heared of Plymouth shipping a duster to petty for a nascar, but you never know, they did make them stop running the hemi, may have been test mule to see how a duster would perform on the track.. I'd investigate further... Or petty might have thought about switchin' back to drag racing in '72... I'd get in touch will petty and ask him....

Petty fielded Hemi powered Dusters in the drag racing side of things for Roy Hill in 1971-1973. Search "Roy Hill Duster" on google images and you'll see tons of pics. Super Car Collectibles made diecasts of the 1971 version a few years back.
And don't forget about Petty doing the development work on the Kit Car dirt trackers, although the mule was a Challenger, they did offer the kit cars as Dusters, Darts, and Scamps at first.
But if it's a street car, I'd be leery...

Petty fielded Hemi powered Dusters in the drag racing side of things for Roy Hill in 1971-1973. Search "Roy Hill Duster" on google images and you'll see tons of pics. Super Car Collectibles made diecasts of the 1971 version a few years back.
And don't forget about Petty doing the development work on the Kit Car dirt trackers, although the mule was a Challenger, they did offer the kit cars as Dusters, Darts, and Scamps at first.
But if it's a street car, I'd be leery...

Yes its just a street car as far as I know. I told my friend to just check it out as if it had a regular fender tag, and if everything adds up, buy it and check out the Petty thing later. Might be sumpin cool!

School me...I'm stupid at '72's...Is the VIN on the rad support AND the trunk weatherstrip rail too?

I've never heared of Plymouth shipping a duster to petty for a nascar, but you never know, they did make them stop running the hemi, may have been test mule to see how a duster would perform on the track.. I'd investigate further... Or petty might have thought about switchin' back to drag racing in '72... I'd get in touch will petty and ask him....

A Duster would not have been legal for NASCAR because because of the size. But it could have had something to do with the Kit Car program or Roy Hill's Pro Stock efforts.

As for returning to drag racing, I wouldn't be to anxious to ask especially after what happened the first time.

my 2nd 68 fastback parts cuda i bought for parts had a petty enterprise sticker on the firewall, when i took the 340 apart from it, was done inside, no stock at all. never know where the cars come from. i know only a sticker and yours is a vin but still...

Here is the drag car in action [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkr4F_4Xlo&feature=share"]Vintage 1970's Drag Racing - rare footage - YouTube[/ame] at 6:29 minutes. BTW, watch the butt bounce at the end of the run! YIKES! Hope your friend didn't walk on this deal IF it was this car.

Take a picture and email Petty Enterprise and see what they say! they have helped in the restoration in several of their old car for people.

Post a pic of the tag so we can see it.

-
Back