PG Classics Dash Bezel - just received from China!

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i just received the reproduction 1969 Cuda Dash bezel i ordered from PG Classics. it was on sale and i only paid $599.00 total for it. this bezel is normally around $757.00 from PG and from Year One.

this is an expensive part, but after receiving it in perfect condition and seeing how beautiful it is, i think i'm still OK about spending this amount of money for a piece of plastic. it is sad but you have to spend a lot of money on mopars now if you want to restore them.

i tried to attach a video of me opening the box but it was too large to post here. so i've posted some still pictures of this part. i can say that this part was very well packaged and suffered no shipping damage of any kind. the room i took these pics in had very bad lighting but i think you can still see what this part looks like.

this is a BEAUTIFUL part - no question about it and it looks extremely accurate to the OEM mopar dash bezel. you just have to figure out whether you can justify paying $600 or more for a piece of plastic!

dash bezel 5.jpg

dash bezel 4.jpg

dash bezel 3.jpg

dash bezel 2.jpg

dash bezel 1.jpg

hey 4spdragtop...

no not for the M-Code, actually this is for my 69 383 4 sp car that has now taken priority over the M car. the 383 car is the one i've posted pics of installing the borgeson power steering box and the mopar mini-starter. i kind of "rediscovered" this car after i moved it over from my house to my other garage with the other three cars. i had forgotten how cool this car was and all the options it had on it - not to mention the fact that it is a 383, 4 speed with a 3:91 rear gear. i think it will be a fun car to drive this summer and it requires less work than the M car. i walk past the future 440 car every time i go into my garage. i am going to drop the 440 hp block off at NAPA and get started on getting the M car's motor built. then, hopefully - when i quit playing with the 383 car, i can devote all my time to the M car. i love being retired! i just sit around and think about what "car" to work on next. LOL! here's the dash that is being up-graded with the noted new bezel.

DSCN2425.jpg

hey 4spdragtop...

no not for the M-Code, actually this is for my 69 383 4 sp car that has now taken priority over the M car. the 383 car is the one i've posted pics of installing the borgeson power steering box and the mopar mini-starter. i kind of "rediscovered" this car after i moved it over from my house to my other garage with the other three cars. i had forgotten how cool this car was and all the options it had on it - not to mention the fact that it is a 383, 4 speed with a 3:91 rear gear. i think it will be a fun car to drive this summer and it requires less work than the M car. i walk past the future 440 car every time i go into my garage. i am going to drop the 440 hp block off at NAPA and get started on getting the M car's motor built. then, hopefully - when i quit playing with the 383 car, i can devote all my time to the M car. i love being retired! i just sit around and think about what "car" to work on next. LOL! here's the dash that is being up-graded with the noted new bezel.

View attachment 1715641688
Something you look at everytime you drive it. It should be nice. Looks good.

Very nice. Expensive but probably cheaper than getting it re plastic chromed. Nothing looks better than a detailed dash. A lot of nice cars get the worn out gauges and bezels put back in.

Very nice. Expensive but probably cheaper than getting it re plastic chromed. Nothing looks better than a detailed dash. A lot of nice cars get the worn out gauges and bezels put back in.

there used to be a guy that advertised in Mopar Muscle that said he rechromed OEM dash bezels for like $300. but i haven't seen his ad for a while anywhere. it was hard parting with the big bucks for this dash but you are right, you do look at the dash everytime you drive your car and this will be a wonderful thing to look at, especially with the NOS tach. i didn't buy the gauge lens because i have several sets and they are in very nice shape. 4spdragtop above asked about the Barracuda script on the glove box trim. i don't believe the 69 has that script but i will check. the dash kit i purchased came as a kit at the price i paid. it's possible i'll still have to buy the correct glove box bezel. however, this dash is correct with the flat black paint so i could just paint one of the glove box bezels that i already have with the Barracuda script in tack.

there used to be a guy that advertised in Mopar Muscle that said he rechromed OEM dash bezels for like $300. but i haven't seen his ad for a while anywhere. it was hard parting with the big bucks for this dash but you are right, you do look at the dash everytime you drive your car and this will be a wonderful thing to look at, especially with the NOS tach. i didn't buy the gauge lens because i have several sets and they are in very nice shape. 4spdragtop above asked about the Barracuda script on the glove box trim. i don't believe the 69 has that script but i will check. the dash kit i purchased came as a kit at the price i paid. it's possible i'll still have to buy the correct glove box bezel. however, this dash is correct with the flat black paint so i could just paint one of the glove box bezels that i already have with the Barracuda script in tack.

I received my bezel from PG today. I understand on getting it opened, not often you see that much Styrofoam, bubble wrap and a piece of wood protecting it. Bad part is girlfriend is decorating and cleaning the house for our Wedding and Christmas. The vacuum cleaner was right behind me as I was trying to open it without shredding crap all over the table, chair and floors. I think I got it all up, but if not, I'll blame the dogs, lol.
Usually PG is expensive on shipping, but my shipping was only $36 making a grand total of $557.25, I looked for the dash you have, but didn't see it, so I ordered the woodgrain top and silver on the bottom. GB piece did have Barracuda on it in '69, so I got that. I am thinking I might have the bottom wrapped in black vinyl wrap. I've also been told to check the woodgrain against an original dash, plus console if you have one, and you might see a difference. I believe it is DMT that I was told has the best woodgrain stickers. I'll see how it looks when I can get to it. I've even thought about having the bottom painted the body color, but I'll just have to see later. My dash will be a little bit unusual as it is. Instead of a tac or performance indicator, I bought a NOS clock and had it converted to modern quartz movement. I haven't seen too many people say they have a clock. Mine is a 340S auto.
You've got some nice cars. I have 2 projects going on when I can get back to them, the 69 Barracuda and a 72 Fury III w/ 48.6K original miles.
Congrats on your retirement and enjoy the cars.

If it's anything like their 68/69/70 Rallye dash bezel sets, be very careful with the black painted area as it, or at least mine, chip/flake off very easily.

I purchased a set for my 69 Cuda and they were very nice. Well worth the money. I really hate the painted flat black jobs everyone does.

The original one on my 69 had the script and the one I got had it also. But mine was not the woodgrain.

there used to be a guy that advertised in Mopar Muscle that said he rechromed OEM dash bezels for like $300. but i haven't seen his ad for a while anywhere.

I think you are referring to Mr.G. The $300 referred to just the instrument bezel - only one of 4 pieces for my dash. The person that did all that work retired and they don't do any new work. I was lucky to get the last standard instrument, deluxe (fake wood grain) set they had in stock for my 70 Dart GT about 9 months ago. They were still selling out their remaining stock so folks might still give them a try, especially for odd ball stuff that isn't repopped.

expensive?
hey it's a hobby and done to a nice level you will have a very desirable car with some value when finished.
How much money do you have after golfing..fishing..skiing or whatever for a season?
I have have found Peter Gee pieces to be very nice and my '69 dash bezels fit far better than originals which are usually out a lot. I think they corrected the fit before re-popping them.

I received my bezel from PG today. I understand on getting it opened, not often you see that much Styrofoam, bubble wrap and a piece of wood protecting it. Bad part is girlfriend is decorating and cleaning the house for our Wedding and Christmas. The vacuum cleaner was right behind me as I was trying to open it without shredding crap all over the table, chair and floors. I think I got it all up, but if not, I'll blame the dogs, lol.
Usually PG is expensive on shipping, but my shipping was only $36 making a grand total of $557.25, I looked for the dash you have, but didn't see it, so I ordered the woodgrain top and silver on the bottom. GB piece did have Barracuda on it in '69, so I got that. I am thinking I might have the bottom wrapped in black vinyl wrap. I've also been told to check the woodgrain against an original dash, plus console if you have one, and you might see a difference. I believe it is DMT that I was told has the best woodgrain stickers. I'll see how it looks when I can get to it. I've even thought about having the bottom painted the body color, but I'll just have to see later. My dash will be a little bit unusual as it is. Instead of a tac or performance indicator, I bought a NOS clock and had it converted to modern quartz movement. I haven't seen too many people say they have a clock. Mine is a 340S auto.
You've got some nice cars. I have 2 projects going on when I can get back to them, the 69 Barracuda and a 72 Fury III w/ 48.6K original miles.
Congrats on your retirement and enjoy the cars.

yea, i thought the packaging for the PG dash was excellent - given the fact that this part ships directly from China, i'm glad they "overwrapped" the part. i have to check the factory specs again on the 69 barracudas with the Deluxe interior option which my car has. it does bother me now to think that i might not have purchased the "exact" correct dash. however, i can "fix" this dash if there is something that is off.

the woodgrain on this new dash does have a few bubbles in it which i think will go way with a few pin pricks and some warm air. but tell me who "DMT" is and their website just in case i want to "up-grade" to their woodgrain.

as to a clock, funny you are installing one in your car - my car had the original OEM clock as a factory option instead of the tach but i took it out and replaced it with a tach. where did you get your clock converted to modern movement?

thanks for the compliment on the cars. yes, i have plenty of "projects" to keep me warm on the coming winter nights! LOL!

If it's anything like their 68/69/70 Rallye dash bezel sets, be very careful with the black painted area as it, or at least mine, chip/flake off very easily.

i will be careful not to scratch the flat-black paint... i wonder if they just painted over the chrome?

I purchased a set for my 69 Cuda and they were very nice. Well worth the money. I really hate the painted flat black jobs everyone does.

now i am really nervous about whether the flat black paint is correct for 69 Cudas. the only good news about this if i did make a mistake is that this is an easy fix with some OEM Chrysler "argent" silver spray paint!

expensive?
hey it's a hobby and done to a nice level you will have a very desirable car with some value when finished.
How much money do you have after golfing..fishing..skiing or whatever for a season?
I have have found Peter Gee pieces to be very nice and my '69 dash bezels fit far better than originals which are usually out a lot. I think they corrected the fit before re-popping them.

LOL! yes you are right! everyone spends money on "something" they like to do or have. my wife likes buying shoes and purses. i don't understand this obsession at all as she now has almost an entire spare bedroom full of both. but that's what she likes and i dare NOT ever say anything about her "tastes" in spending money for two very good reasons: 1. she has a very good job and all her money is "her's" to spend (as i have my own money), and; 2. whenever i have made the "mistake" of even "hinting" about why she bought something, her IMMEDIATE next question to me is: "who has two houses full of car parts and a car collection?" and that statement pretty much ends any further comments from me on "whatever" she had just purchased - other than to say: "that's a really nice looking [insert the purchased item here] Sweetie!"

yea, i thought the packaging for the PG dash was excellent - given the fact that this part ships directly from China, i'm glad they "overwrapped" the part. i have to check the factory specs again on the 69 barracudas with the Deluxe interior option which my car has. it does bother me now to think that i might not have purchased the "exact" correct dash. however, i can "fix" this dash if there is something that is off.

the woodgrain on this new dash does have a few bubbles in it which i think will go way with a few pin pricks and some warm air. but tell me who "DMT" is and their website just in case i want to "up-grade" to their woodgrain.

as to a clock, funny you are installing one in your car - my car had the original OEM clock as a factory option instead of the tach but i took it out and replaced it with a tach. where did you get your clock converted to modern movement?

thanks for the compliment on the cars. yes, i have plenty of "projects" to keep me warm on the coming winter nights! LOL!

Mine also had deluxe interior and rally dash it you go to The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1969 Plymouth Dealership Data Book - Barracuda in picture 11, you will see that the woodgrain top, black bottom and barracuda script and symbol are on the GB piece. I've got a decent set of references for '69 barracuda. All together I think it's around 1500 pages, uses 2 4" binders, plus a 2or 3" for other sources. The factory 1969 Plymouth service manual (covers all models) is 982 pages and when you put the pages in sheet protectors, takes up a lot of room, but no grease spots or easy tearing out of the binder, plus you can draw lines on the sheet protectors with a grease pencil and then clean off. Warning" very time consuming and can get expensive.
DMT is Detroit Muscle Technology. Here is link to their woodgrain dash appliques: Mopar A Body 68-69 Barracuda Dart Rallye Dash Overlay - WALNUT Vinyl on Aluminum Look Plastic Backing I've bought a couple of small items from them and they seem to have very favorable reviews from some member on here. Good place to check, as they're not as well known as YO, PG, CI, etc.
That is funny on the clock, I thought I was unique, just like everybody else, lol. I'll have to find my receipt to see name of the companyI just found them by searching on EBay NOS 1969 Barracuda parts and saw the clock, then read where they said they could take old clocks and convert them to modern quartz. I love the 12/24 hour display. I may pull my Fury clock out and send to them because I've got to go into the dash and will do upgrades like on A bodies (change to LED bulbs, by-pass bulkhead connector, convert how the gas gauge works so 1 minute I have a full tank and next I've got the fuel light on.
Hope that helps some.
Dan

I found that GCAR was a more reasonably priced option when I did my bezel. In all, I sent the bezel, the glovebox trim, and the A pillar trim (mine is a 67 convertible) to be done. All totaled with shipping I believe I had $650 in mine, that was with polished bezels, new high beam and brake light colored lenses, and rechromed A pillar trim. That included shipping both ways from Michigan to Washington state. Of course, mine isn’t wood grain, but with the extra pieces and lense polishing, I think I got a great deal!

91B51047-FA1E-4D2A-A932-D50EAD18870D.jpeg

D6ACDC3B-E13E-4CE4-9E77-1FD5DA9F0905.jpeg

584934F2-C50A-4086-B738-7341E6D8400D.jpeg

I found that GCAR was a more reasonably priced option when I did my bezel. In all, I sent the bezel, the glovebox trim, and the A pillar trim (mine is a 67 convertible) to be done. All totaled with shipping I believe I had $650 in mine, that was with polished bezels, new high beam and brake light colored lenses, and tech toned A pillar trim. That included shipping both ways from Michigan to Washington state. Of course, mine isn’t wood grain, but with the extra pieces and lense polishing, I think I got a great deal!

View attachment 1715641817

View attachment 1715641818

View attachment 1715641819

GCAR is a new one on me, have to check them out.

I found that GCAR was a more reasonably priced option when I did my bezel. In all, I sent the bezel, the glovebox trim, and the A pillar trim (mine is a 67 convertible) to be done. All totaled with shipping I believe I had $650 in mine, that was with polished bezels, new high beam and brake light colored lenses, and rechromed A pillar trim. That included shipping both ways from Michigan to Washington state. Of course, mine isn’t wood grain, but with the extra pieces and lense polishing, I think I got a great deal!

That is a pretty dash, I need to put them on my "check this site out" list

Mine also had deluxe interior and rally dash it you go to The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1969 Plymouth Dealership Data Book - Barracuda in picture 11, you will see that the woodgrain top, black bottom and barracuda script and symbol are on the GB piece. I've got a decent set of references for '69 barracuda. All together I think it's around 1500 pages, uses 2 4" binders, plus a 2or 3" for other sources. The factory 1969 Plymouth service manual (covers all models) is 982 pages and when you put the pages in sheet protectors, takes up a lot of room, but no grease spots or easy tearing out of the binder, plus you can draw lines on the sheet protectors with a grease pencil and then clean off. Warning" very time consuming and can get expensive.
DMT is Detroit Muscle Technology. Here is link to their woodgrain dash appliques: Mopar A Body 68-69 Barracuda Dart Rallye Dash Overlay - WALNUT Vinyl on Aluminum Look Plastic Backing I've bought a couple of small items from them and they seem to have very favorable reviews from some member on here. Good place to check, as they're not as well known as YO, PG, CI, etc.
That is funny on the clock, I thought I was unique, just like everybody else, lol. I'll have to find my receipt to see name of the companyI just found them by searching on EBay NOS 1969 Barracuda parts and saw the clock, then read where they said they could take old clocks and convert them to modern quartz. I love the 12/24 hour display. I may pull my Fury clock out and send to them because I've got to go into the dash and will do upgrades like on A bodies (change to LED bulbs, by-pass bulkhead connector, convert how the gas gauge works so 1 minute I have a full tank and next I've got the fuel light on.
Hope that helps some.
Dan

hi imfurys... thank you for the reference to the Detroit Muscle Technology company! i just went on their site and purchased the woodgrain applique that you referenced. it was only $24.00! DMT has some very good prices and a bunch of stuff that i'm going to purchase from them.

i have not yet determined what to do with the OEM clock i removed from my 69 Cuda. i know they are rare as most guys went for the tach if they were going to pay for some options on the new 1969 Barracuda they were ordering. i put several droplets of WD40 down the adjustment cable and on the shaft where the cable connects to the rear of the clock and i can now move the hands on the clock for setting. my next experiment will be to hook this up to a 12 volt power source and see if this clock runs. this unit looks to be pretty well sealed in its original manufacture so i'm not going to attempt to take this thing apart. i think that needs to be done by a "clock worker" or a jeweler.

i also looked at the dash pic. you mentioned from the Hamtramck registry. i have some of that stuff but no where near the library you have. i would love to have all the stuff you have. was your collection one of those "a few pages over the years" kind of collection or did you find some source that had a large volume of sheets all together? i do have the original factory service manuals for the 68 and 69 A body cars. ironically, i never thought to look at those books... LOL!

thanks again for the DMT reference. i'll post a pic of their dash part once i get it so other FABO folks can see one.

hey cosgig...

yes, your dash does look nice! i've got a second car - my m-code car - that i will be doing a complete interior install in including the dash. the dash i just removed from my 69 383 car that i just replaced with the new bezel i've been talking about here could be sent to the guys you used as it is perfect other than faded chrome. do you know the name of "GCAR" or their website? i would love to contact them.

Jimharvard I hate to burst your bubble since it is a good looking part, but I think your gonna have a problem with that dash bezel you just bought if you bought it for a 69 barracuda. Theres no hazard switch hole moulded in your new bezel above the headlight switch. You have in your picture a 1970 bezel. 1970 is where they moved the hazard switch to the steering column but still had a thumbwheel radio. This bezel is correct for 1970 340 duster. I just purchased a 1969 barracuda non A/C non wood grained bezel with glovebox trim from www.MrMoparts.com. I bought the correct upper wood trim from DMT to jazz it up a bit. I had a few bad dealings with PG classic and no matter how inexpensive they are and great deals they offer, I wont bite again. Had to send too many things back with issues, and go back n forth. Not worth the headache to me honestly. I will pay a little more and get it from somewhere else.

Last edited:
hi imfurys... thank you for the reference to the Detroit Muscle Technology company! i just went on their site and purchased the woodgrain applique that you referenced. it was only $24.00! DMT has some very good prices and a bunch of stuff that i'm going to purchase from them.

i have not yet determined what to do with the OEM clock i removed from my 69 Cuda. i know they are rare as most guys went for the tach if they were going to pay for some options on the new 1969 Barracuda they were ordering. i put several droplets of WD40 down the adjustment cable and on the shaft where the cable connects to the rear of the clock and i can now move the hands on the clock for setting. my next experiment will be to hook this up to a 12 volt power source and see if this clock runs. this unit looks to be pretty well sealed in its original manufacture so i'm not going to attempt to take this thing apart. i think that needs to be done by a "clock worker" or a jeweler.

i also looked at the dash pic. you mentioned from the Hamtramck registry. i have some of that stuff but no where near the library you have. i would love to have all the stuff you have. was your collection one of those "a few pages over the years" kind of collection or did you find some source that had a large volume of sheets all together? i do have the original factory service manuals for the 68 and 69 A body cars. ironically, i never thought to look at those books... LOL!

thanks again for the DMT reference. i'll post a pic of their dash part once i get it so other FABO folks can see one.[

Hi Jim,
Dan here. No problem on DMT, I've heard their quality is pretty good and I have a "wish cart" for them when I can. I'll go back thru Ebay and see if I can find the clock company I got mine from. I want to say it was right around $265 to buy the NOS clock and have them convert it and ship to me.
Some stuff in my references was easy to get, like the factory manual, I've made different versions of that dealer's brochure and refer it to for "quick reference". Wiring diagram was easy to get and I made several copies so I could trace out circuits using the correct color pen, colored pencil, etc. I also made slightly larger paper size ones. There is a company (it might be called classic car auto wiring, or something like that) where you can purchase laminated copies that I believe are somewhere around 24X24 or maybe was even 28X28. That's nice to put up close to whee you're working and again, grease pencils can be used to trace out and then wiped off. I did buy a copy of the book "Barracuda 1964-1969 A book of information, which contains the dealer's brochure, but it has great info and illustrations. Google and you should be able to find. I think it runs about $35. then I have some individual "upgrade" notes when I get back to mine. So some of it was easy to get, some I spent some money on the reference. Printing (and keeping in order) and getting that many pages in page protectors is very time consuming. I'm working on my third set now. My desk copy is not in page protectors, my garage copy is in them. This last set is set-up different from my first two and pretty sure the last one I'll make (my supply guy retired). I'm not kidding that the little bit of time I get to work on stuff like this probably takes me a year to make a set. I sleep about 3-4 hours every work night, rest of the time, I'm doing a lot of different things, often for other people, so I'm pretty slow at stuff like this. I even make power points on some of the stuff I have. Speaking of sleep, if I hit the bed, I've got 4 hours to sleep, so ttyl.
Dan

-
Back