PG Classics Dash Bezel - just received from China!

-
Kinda like the Rattlesnake roundup in nearby Sweetwater Tx. I been there once, had deep fried rattlesnake, got the tee shirt blah blah blah. It's a once a year tourist trap lol.

I live a few hours away from Sweetwater too and I've never been to the roundup.

thank you for the link to GCAR the plastic chrome restoration guys.

their work looks very nice on the website. however, they want $435.00 to restore a 67-69 dash bezel and $95.00 to do the glove box piece. if you figure shipping of your old piece to them and then shipping back, you're getting close to the $599.00 PGClassic is selling the reproduction unit for which includes the glove box piece. now, the advantage to the GCAR route would be that you have a brand new OEM "Mopar" dash bezel and not the chinese reproduction.

has anyone compared the quality of restoration of a GCAR barracuda bezel to a new one from one of the vendors? that would be a bit of information that would be of interest to me.

word on the street back then was that there were figment issues with the aftermarket units. Even back when BE&A was the only one reproducing them, they were not a very good fit. I believe PG bought out BE&A and the tooling for this, but I don’t know if it’s been improved since them. I do believe that the PG bezel doesn’t come with the lenses, and they are another $195.

The reason I went with GCAR was because I had a nice uncut bezel which needed no work. I also wanted my pillar post mouldings rechromed and nobody did those but Glen. He polished my lenses for free, and also included the red and green lenses for free as well. I couldn’t say no to that, and I’m happy with his workmanship, and the correspondence was great. The lead time was long, but I planned ahead and had other assemblies to work on in the meantime. My complete dash redo can be found here in the Rani, I’ma Callin’ You Out thread.
My New FABO Reality Show...Rani, I'ma Callin' You Out!!!

The key to rechroming the OEM part is the quality of that part. New chrome will amplify every little scar. I put a lot of hours into smoothing my modified bezel before sending it to the rehrome shop. The brim line where the bezel meets the dash cap was wavy like many of them and I didn't get it perfectly straight again but I'm happy with it.

DeMonDIN plus burl 02 resize.jpg

RedFish , Chrysler should have put the heater controls along the bottom on the rallye dash like you did. Makes more sense. Great job!!!

I got a pgclassic rallye bezel for a 68 Barracuda and am fairly happy with it. If I had an uncut original bezel, I'd be happier if I sent it out for restoration but I can't complain too much. I'd buy it again if I had to. Although post inflation prices have gotten out of hand on these things.

Pros:

Chrome and detail looks good on it.

Cons:

Doesn't quite fit the gauge pods all that well. Took a decent amount of manipulation to get the holes to line up with each other. Had to use plastic trim tools to keep the plastic trim in certain areas from buckling under the metal I was attaching it to, etc.

The headlight switch and odometer trip knob did not line up with the bezel very well. You can't tell with the headlight switch once the knob is on it but you can tell with the odometer trip knob. It just did not line up in the middle of the spot it's supposed to go into, no matter what I did. Not a huge deal but it was a bit annoying. It now sits a little off to the left in it's spot. Probably only something I will notice but will bother a perfectionist.

There was no cut out for the cigarette lighter. There was an indented circle on the bezel where it is supposed to go but the circle wasn't centered very well and sat higher than the factory spot. If you cut the hole center for it, you'll see the top of the indented circle in the bezel so I just chose to drill in the indent, even if it's higher than where it's supposed to be.

I have purchased three of the chinese dashes. The last one is ground out in the back. The other dashes I received were not fitted to the cluster housing and had to be ground away in places . Be careful I have one here now and it needs to be fitted

DSCN1209.JPG

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN1230.JPG

DSCN1231 (2).JPG

-
Back