PGClassic chrome mirror corroding already!

-
Unfortunately China is the only place making a lot of these reproduction pieces. It`s a shame that Americans and Canadians could not do more of the manufacturing of these parts. There`s certainly a market for it and I would not mind spending a little more initially to get a well made product. I have a many 40 year old parts that look better than their 3 year old reproductions.

Dan, I would send that mirror back for an exchange. You might happen to get another that sat in the chrome tank a bit longer. Anything would be better than what you`ve got now and it`ll give Peter Gee a chance to make it right.

a special handle note on this subject ? -- -- have gotten A/M door handles out there -with less than fair dependabl chroming =( buy them direct from Chrysler -- same handles were used on late 70-80 trucks) -- with AM you need watch out prior to purchase - and also save your stock inside lever mechanism = removed with 2 screws - as A/M do not have the ball and ?trunion - same as stock - just a plstic clip lever that doesnt match dyck - recently some have stepped up 2 the plate and rectified this - not so sure on pg item - but i did buy the penta star logo mirrors from mopar 999 that had ruff chromeouter lip edges --kiss me qwik - WHAT ? it wont hurt?? eh? - -

Unfortunately China is the only place making a lot of these reproduction pieces. It`s a shame that Americans and Canadians could not do more of the manufacturing of these parts. There`s certainly a market for it and I would not mind spending a little more initially to get a well made product. I have a many 40 year old parts that look better than their 3 year old reproductions.

Regulations on industry from the likes of E.P.A., O.S.H.A., and others, have made it nearly impossible manufacture anything here at a profit. It could be done if the imports knock-offs were stopped at the border.

I painted my OEM mirrors until I can have them rechromed. I'm trying to keep import repops off of my domestic car. If having parts restored here costs as much or even more than the repop, It's still a win/win in my opinion.

Reproduction items whether it be from Year One, Layson's,or PG Classics, sometimes its hit and miss. I've ordered items from all three, some items I found were just as good as the original if not better and other items lacked the same quality as the original. I've ordered a few non-chrome pieces from P.G Classics and these items were perfectly fine.

I was thinking about buying their leather wrapped Tuff wheel until I saw this thread.

They have it listed on their website at $205 plus shipping...

PGClassic link

Then they have it listed on Ebay for $195 shipped...

Ebay link

I've read all the comments about their "customer service". Does anyone have any experience with this specific wheel or do I just assume that the plating is junk like Dan's mirror?!?

Give them all your love and kisses too! Happy to see you stand up for a quality thing. I guess sometimes you do get what you pay for. By the way, when I was in the Army during the 80's I saw ZZ Top in Concert in Frankfurt, Germany, still have a Banner I purchased at the concert!

Well, I finally got to speak to the man himself: "Peter Gee" (which I am sure is not his given name). I politely explained the situation, including the lack of callback and follow-through by his employees. He didn't comment at all on that, but with a very thick Chinese accent, he made all kinds of excuses and justifications: it must be my driving conditions, it must be my weather conditions, it must be bad luck, he's the manufacturer and he personally makes sure every mirror is triple plated (yeah, right, I'm so sure) but it's not possible to predict how long even the best chrome plating will last even in the best of conditions, I'm the only one who's ever had this kind of problem with any of his products, etc. Eventually he offered to replace the mirror if I send in the corroded one. I probably won't bother; the new one will just corrode in another five months.

As for his claim to be the manufacturer: Maybe and maybe not. At any trade show (auto parts, kitchenware, lawn and garden supplies, whatever) you go from booth to booth collecting catalogues from dozens or hundreds of Chinese each claiming to be the manufacturer of everything in the catalogue. You get back to your hotel at the end of the day, spread out the catalogues on your bed, and you find that dozens or hundreds of them are identical, right down to the page numbers and part numbers and product photographs. They're printed in different colours, and the company name is different, and a different building is shown on the back of the catalogue, but those are the only differences. Oh, yeah, "We are the manufacturer!", sure, fine, whatever.

So in the end, what we have here is a real classy, typical Chinese operation. :roll:
You probably already know this, but maybe not everyone does. So called triple plating only means the item has a layer of Copper, Nickel, then Chrome.It hasn't anything to do with the thickness, (durability), of the layers. Remember the, ( 14 caret gold), rings we used to get in cereal, that turned your finger green?

-
Back