Photo Radar

-

Back in Time

Reaction score
Got a Photo Radar Speeding ticket in the mail today. Got me 3 weeks ago, finally sent it out. Should I throw it in the trash and make them come serve me and hope they just never get to me in the required amount of time or just pay up? Fine is $ 247.00 now and additional $20 or $25 if they do serve me.

Got a Photo Radar Speeding ticket in the mail today. Got me 3 weeks ago, finally sent it out. Should I throw it in the trash and make them come serve me and hope they just never get to me in the required amount of time or just pay up? Fine is $ 247.00 now and additional $20 or $25 if they do serve me.

You might want to pay it, but best to check with locals on what happens if you don't.

They should be illegal. If Barney cannot hide behind the billboard and catch you then you didn't do anything wrong.

I have read where if you stop but cross the white line they will send you a ticket. To me that is BULL SH*T

Did they send pic as well?? Up here in Ontario they had photo radar for a couple years. Lori, my gf got a $300 ticket driving someone elses car about 15 years ago. They sent a pic with the ticket.
I would pay it, pretty tough to beat. Any demerit points?

Yea, sent picture and all.I'm not denying guilt..they nailed me. Just that Arizona Supreme Court determined sending a summons in the mail is not legally binding unless you sign the form and send it in...They have to present you with the ticket in person and has to be done I believe in 4 months of offense. Radar is operated by a private company for the City Of El Mirage and hire process servers to present you with ticket and sometimes don't get people served in time. Not to worried about points on my licence this is the 1st ticket Ive had in 15 years...more worried about insurance rates

In that case it seems to me it might be worth the gamble. It all these automatic ticket cameras should be unconstitutional

I was told, and I don't know how true this is that if you over pay them they have to wait for you to cash the check they send to you to actually process the ticket...so never cash there check....

When I was running the AFCS, the stamp cancelling machine at the USPS, we used to see thousands of them come thru the mail every night. The company that processed them back in or so was in Tempe I think. They never sealed any of them so the envelopes would dump open in the machine....used or see folks holding up clip boards, hiding behind hats etc. Guess they were thinking that without the picture they were going to get away with it....

So how did they know it was you? Tag number? Get some of that reflective spray paint and paint hell out of your tag. They won't get you next time.

It doesn't make a difference if you don't pay them unless they serve you in person.
And as said, then they add 25 to it if they do.
(Legally) there is nothing they can do unless it is served in person and they know that.
They just wish everyone would just send in the money without having to do any more work for it than they have to.

Seen the whole thing multiple times with family and friends, and only one of them ever got served and had to pay the fine (and the fine).

Here if you pay, no points. If they have to serve you, they will assess points.

Yea, sent picture and all.I'm not denying guilt..they nailed me. Just that Arizona Supreme Court determined sending a summons in the mail is not legally binding unless you sign the form and send it in...They have to present you with the ticket in person and has to be done I believe in 4 months of offense. Radar is operated by a private company for the City Of El Mirage and hire process servers to present you with ticket and sometimes don't get people served in time. Not to worried about points on my licence this is the 1st ticket Ive had in 15 years...more worried about insurance rates

If those are the rules/laws down there I would take the chance and not pay...its worth doubling down on IMO.
Yeah up here the demerit points stay on your record for 3 years. And insurance skyrockets hard! Good luck!

Has AZ ever bought back those dumb-a** photo emission vans they had several years ago?

Has AZ ever bought back those dumb-a** photo emission vans they had several years ago?

Haven't seen any of those over here in the Northwest Valley since I moved here. I remember Colorado was using them when I left in 09. I'm not against Law enforcement but am against " Big Brother" Law enforcement.

They disappeared sometime in the last year or so here.
All the camera's are either removed or covered too, here in Prescott anyway.

So they have to serve you in person before they can put out a warrant? Is that the way it works? It's tempting but it's also a hassle having that hanging. You're with a new girlfriend or have the boss over for dinner whatever and the person serving shows up. lol

I believe they killed photo radar up here because it was deemed an invasion of privacy. Something to do with the picture.

I saw a camera flash once when I drove through an intersection, so I figure it was because the camera thought I was speeding. So I went back and went through at a speed that was 5 MPH under the speed limit and again saw the camera's flash. This stupid camera must have something wrong with it, so I circle back and go 15 MPH under the speed limit and again I see the flash go off! I circled back once more and lastly just crept through the intersection at 5 MPH and again saw the flash! Stupid broke camera!!! Then I got 4 photo tickets in the mail for not wearing a seatbelt.:eek:ops::violent1::protest:

That was just a joke I read in an email yesterday.

I do remember that the cameras were turned off on 101. There is a member here who is a retired PHX cop, seem to remember John telling me that AZ decided to scrap the whole program, wonder why they bought them back? Spokane has some Photo Light Cameras. Form what I read there will be a few more here soon. Damn near every-time I am near Division & Francis I see flashes. And they are for no reason. The lights are set up so that folks turning right have a green arrow when the other lanes have a left tun arrow. That is usually when I see the flash.
Read somewhere that the photo emission tester can only monitor a vehicle between certain speeds, something like 20-75 mph. Whenever I used to see them and I was driving my old v-8 Ranger I had I would either go thru at 80 or chuck it in neutral and shut it down.
Joke from a Mexican co-worker....how does a Mexican family get a Family Portrait??? By climbing in the back of a pick up and speeding past a photo radar camera....

True Story...
We received a traffic ticket in the mail from a town outside of Atlanta ( about 100 miles north of here. The ticket was accompanied by a photo of a backside of a car (and the license plate) going through a red lite.

The ticket was written against my daughters car (at the time) A White 98 Saturn SC2 coupe, that was with my daughter in Orlando Florida, some 5-1/2 hours south of here. The description of the car in on the ticket, obviously take from the registration info stored on the state's computer.

The picture, however clearly shows a new Black Honda Odyssey minivan, and a blurred license plate.
I contacted the jurisdiction in which the ticket generated. I spoke to the traffic clerk who was able to pull up the ticket, and the picture on her computer WHILE she was on the phone with me.
I explained that:
1. The description of the vehicle on the ticket is a White, 1998 Saturn coupe
2. The Photo is a Black Honda Minivan
3. The license plate in the photo is too blurry to read.
4. The car, and the license plate that they are Claiming the ticket represents is in Florida, and has been there for three months.

The clerk is looking at the dependencies and says to me, "Have yo u notified the state that you have moved the license plate from the car to the van"?

The photo that accompanies the ticket has a date and time stamp on it, and the location of the camera. My daughter (who works at one of the major theme parks in Orlando) contacted the security office at the theme park, and they were able to supply here with a photograph of her, her car, and it's license plate, with a date and time stamp on it showing her car entering the employee parking lot ( with a clear view of the license plate) just 28 minutes before the ticket for the car was generated some 6-1/2 hours away.

When I called the clerk back, I was told to bring that photo to court with me.
I asked why I would even need to go to court, with it, I could email the pic from From Florida to her. She told me there was noting she could do.

Three weeks later I went to court, the judge looked at the two photos and dismissed the case.

I later sent them an invoice for my mileage and my time. Four and a half hours, and 215 miles at 0.555¢ per mile. The invoice was for $411.83.
Of course they didn't pay it. Instead I received a letter from the municipal attorney stating that they aren't liable for such errors.

Of course they didn't pay it. Instead I received a letter from the municipal attorney stating that they aren't liable for such errors.

Of course not

But this is one reason I think these should flat be unconstitutional. This is called "guilty before proven innocent"

Grow up guys!! If you do the crime, pay the fine. If you did not break the law fight it . If you don't like a law work to change it. Quit crying cause you got busted.
Mike

Grow up guys!! If you do the crime, pay the fine. If you did not break the law fight it . If you don't like a law work to change it. Quit crying cause you got busted.
Mike

Wow, I expected this comment way before now. I agree I was wrong and if a Cop in a car with a radar gun had nailed me this thread would not even exist. I would have paid the fine and let it go.The problem I have is the Lazy Big Brother aspect of it. Must be nice to be Mr.Outstanding Citizen.

Send them this letter..

To Whom it May Concern,
I received a letter claiming I committed a violation of a speeding law in (Insert city and date). As per the instructions, I am writing to plead ‘not guilty’ to this charge. Although this option is said to result in this matter going to court; it is my suggestion that the charges simply be dropped. This suggestion comes out of respect for tax payers, and my request that their hard earned money not be wasted in such proceedings. As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.
If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.
Sincerely,

-
Back