pic of cylinder wall

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Check out the cylinder wall,is this going to be a problim.It looks like rust marks.
80 THOU MILE MOTOR.
003.JPG

If not fingernail catching then IMHO run some Scotchbrite over it sideways and at an angle, like honing. It looks like some coolant was in there and ran down the bore when the piston last moved downward.

Is the motor you are asking about the cam and such?

If not fingernail catching then IMHO run some Scotchbrite over it sideways and at an angle, like honing. It looks like some coolant was in there and ran down the bore when the piston last moved downward.

Is the motor you are asking about the cam and such?
yes sir it is.I realy dont have extra fund for a rebuild,when i went to here it run,it ran great no noise smoke nothing.I did the scotchbrite just a bit and it did help some.

Cylinders have more rust in them when one sits up for a long time. Run it.

OK i just ran some more scotchbrite over it and feels good,ok what can i use to remove carbon at the top of the walls,and the pistons.Why could i have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

I use a single edged razor blade held at right angles as a piston scraper. I am sure there are plenty of good methods. Ditto for the top of the cylinder.

If you are changing rings, make sure you buy/borrow a groove scraper/cleaner and clean the ring grooves.

Most of us are born with plastic spoons or one of those tiny wooden ice cream spoons in our mouths... that is just the way it goes LOL

I've used Carb-Off and Piston Kleen with success. Try your local parts store, or shooting supply store for carb off.

Scotchbrite and diesel or kerosene or degreaser or fuel to clean up the rust if you can't really feel it too much.

Same to help clean up piston tops, a douse of that and scotchbrite or razorblade for the stubborn stuff. You can use a drill or dremel with a scotchbrite or plastic type wheel on it as well if you have it handy.

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much on the carbon build up on the pistons, if its stubborn just leave it there to give you a tad extra compression.

I would use the starter when I cranked it up.

OK i just ran some more scotchbrite over it and feels good,ok what can i use to remove carbon at the top of the walls,and the pistons.Why could i have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

I use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the top of the bore up...

Just watch out for bits of wire that may break off and get 'em all out.

I wipe the cylinders clean, rinse with solvent, and then blow them out with compressed air, then lube them up with STP or Casite Motor Honey before putting back together...

So far so good....

Just watch out for bits of wire that may break off and get 'em all out.
Cover everything but the bore you're working on. Shop vac may help prior to wet cleanup.
Picture don't look like a lot but how much ridge at the top under the carbon?

Yup... Run it. The beauty of cheapo builds is you can say "F it" to things in other situations you might not...lol. This is one of those.

-
Back