picked up a 73 duster sunroof car and made it into a 71

-

machoramcharger

Reaction score
I just picked this 73 duster up off a member and he was real great guy to deal with. I also picked up every thing I need off of him to convert it into a 71 which is my favorite year and over the weekend I was able to get alot done to it. I forgot my camera today but will have a bunch of pics to add soon. I was very excited when I saw the car as it was very solid and required very little rust repair. I love sunroof cars and have had a few over the past, but I've always wished they would of make sunroofs in the 71 duster. So with this car I decided to turn it into a sunroof 71 wedge. I kept all the original paint and removed the factory stripe with the magic eraser(worked very nicely). I then put the tail panel in over the past weekend and painted it the factory gold color which matched up really decent. I then painted all the blacked out wedge paint scheme and now all I need to do is remove the 73 hood, grill, front bumper, t-support peice, front valance and put on all the 71 stuff. I have the 71 hood all ready to shoot out black, and all my stripes should be here real soon. Next weekend I'll do the vinyl top and start the interior. The slant six runs so nice I think I'll keep it in it for a while.

dus2.JPG

:worthles:

Lol - i did the same thing with my 73 Space duster - except I turned mine into a 71 Demon clone. I have the entire front clip on the car, but I have yet to do the tail panel - that's still sitting in my attic.

I also bought a 5.7 hemi to replace the original 318.

lol, does any one know if they put the half vinyl tops on 71 dusters. If so I'll leave it a half vinyl top car.

wow - good job. From the pics, you'd never know that you swapped the tail panel and painted it. Do you have any pics of the actual swapping of the tail panel? When it was apart?

No, wished I would have. It took me the whole weekend to do the swap and body work and paint. Next weekend the nose and maybe the vinyl top and getting the sunroof working.

Thanks guys, I plain on using it as my daily driver, the slant six is pretty good on gas. Later on I plain on throwing a 340 into it with a stick.

Tonight I need to paint some of the nose peices gold and stick the sharktooth grill in it and install the front bumper. I also started cleaning and relubing the sunroof assembly so that should be able to go back into it soon. Picked up a new black carpet from Trim Parts and I also need to order a new sunroof headliner from Layson's. I actually need to call them today and make sure there still making them as I havent seen them listed on ebay for a while like they use to be.

Last night I was able to paint the front valance and the header panel gold. I'll put those both on tonight as well as the 71 style side markers and install the sharktooth grill. I put the new trim parts carpet in and gave the interior panels a light coat of freash black sem vinyl paint to give it that new look. Painted the metal dash sem trim black and put it all back together. Also made an appointment with my friend to have him put new front glass in it. I've done my own in the past but he's way quicker then me and only charges me $150 total including the glass. Should be all wrapped up with it by this weekend and it will be ready to be my new driver. Also ordered up a original dealer decal for it from the same area it was originaly purchased, should add a neat touch to it. I really love these old cars!!

Here's some more pics of it before the weekend, it's almost completly done now after the weekend.

DSC08249[1].jpg

DSC08255[1].jpg

DAM! looks great, love the 340 wedge emblem, if i ever had a duster id do about the same thing, blacked out hood with that emblem8)

I'm now using it for my daily driver, still need to get the sunroof installed and then do the headliner. Front windsheild was installed yesterday and I need to give the trim a quick buff and install. I'm loving it but I think I'm going to take a 360 I have and put a stroker kit in it and also put a 4 speed in it for next summer.

dus.JPG

d.JPG

-
Back