Pics from the Dukes Drive In show two weeks ago

-
Thanks for posting the pix. Looks like an awesome show!
The GTO is a 65....my favorite year!!

George

Thanks. Being that I'm a Mopar guy, I don't know the exact years of the GM & Ferd stuff, but I try to guess closely (at least the correct generation) for the year.

I used to just take pics of the Mopar stuff only. Now I'm getting more open minded and take some of the "other stuff" for the guys who like it.

Drive in next door? Dukes is the drive in there. Unless I'm missing something... The Gas City next door closed up in the 80's and Dukes bought the lot for more parking. Now the old Wendy's is closed and a fly-by-night used car dealer is there...

I hear ya about feeling old...

LOL...Nope you're not missing anything man. It's me that's missing the ability to type coherent quetsions! :D I was asking about the lot next to the restaurant. Figured it would be tight to park many cars by the restaurant only.

Be well,
Pat

LOL...Nope you're not missing anything man. It's me that's missing the ability to type coherent quetsions! :D I was asking about the lot next to the restaurant. Figured it would be tight to park many cars by the restaurant only.

Be well,
Pat

Is that show on for tomorrow? I wouldn't mind going and meeting you and gettin' some more pics of cars.

Thanks. Being that I'm a Mopar guy, I don't know the exact years of the GM & Ferd stuff, but I try to guess closely (at least the correct generation) for the year.

I used to just take pics of the Mopar stuff only. Now I'm getting more open minded and take some of the "other stuff" for the guys who like it.
I like them all, as long as it's an American car.
Thanks again for posting. Great shots.

George

hey karl no pic. of mine car....where's the love buddy?

I asked myself that after downloading the pictures. I didn't get any of yours at Dukes. I think we got talking and then I didn't get a chance to snap any when we were done.

However, I took pictures of yours at the Palos Heights show on Harlem, so I didn't get any of yours at Dukes.... It was getting dark then and I didn't think that my pictures were coming out that good in the dark. They looked worse on the camera screen than when they downloaded.

I will try to catch up on those and post them.

Don't take it personal, I still love ya..... :hello2:

hey karl no pic. of mine car....where's the love buddy?

There's supposed to be a show in Downer's Grove tomorrow. I am gonna try to make it and bring my camera. If you show up, I will get some good pictures of yours.

I also do weddings and bar mitsvahs (spelling).... LOL!

Is that show on for tomorrow? I wouldn't mind going and meeting you and gettin' some more pics of cars.

So far it's a go. Though if it gets as hot & humid as they claim, I may pass. Without any carpeting or insulation, my car's like riding in a convection oven. :wack:

I'll keep you posted.
Pat

So far it's a go. Though if it gets as hot & humid as they claim, I may pass. Without any carpeting or insulation, my car's like riding in a convection oven. :wack:

I'll keep you posted.
Pat

Ok. I'll be waiting to hear from ya to see if I make it there.

Thanks.

Dukes used to be the place to cruise back in the 80's. They would literally pack over 1000 people on their little corner with hot rods filling the parking lots. It was featured in the top 10 best spots to cruise by Hot Rod/Car Craft back then. Now it is dead usually.

If your car was not "worthy" to park in the small lot, they would ostricize you until you moved it out to the side streets back then. People would hang out and check out the cars. Then it would progress to where they would start setting up races for the night.

Then after they closed at 10 PM then people would go out to one of the 4 "chosen" race spots (after a scout checked it out and radioed back if it was clear). Then everyone would gather at the spot and the racing would begin. Betting between the two cars racing, then all kinds of side bets between the spectaters.

The serious cars would hook up the exhaust and put street tires on to cruise to Dukes. Then line up their races for the night. After Dukes would close, they would go home and put on slicks and open headers and trailer them to the spots. These cars would run 10 seconds or better and run for a minimum of $2000 per race, sometimes more! The races would usually be between 1 AM - 2 AM in Matteson. The racers would show up and unload the cars off of the trailers, then race, and after that load the cars back on the trailers and get the f*ck out before the cops showed up. Man, it was crazy and fun back then!!!

Everyone would work on their cars all week and try to have them ready to cruise Dukes by Friday and Saturday. Oh the pressure! Everyone would look forward to the weekends so they could cruise if it didn't rain. Man, that was alot of fun...

Same here in SoCal. Bob's Big Boy and Whittier Blvd. was the place to cruise on Friday and Saturday nights back in the late '60s and up to the mid-'70s. But if you were into some quick street action then York Field in South Whittier was the place to go. "Big Willie" Robinson and the International Brotherhood of Street Racers would show up there along with a bunch of other quick cars from this part of SoCal. Like at Duke's, races were setup and bets were made at York Field then everybody would split for the race location. Races were at a number of different spots, either industrial (like Nabisco or the 'box factory') or pre-residential build (like Diamond Bar).
You're 100% right - those were fun times!

-
Back