Pics of '68 and up A-body fuel tank mounting??

-

Mr Man

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm putting by '67 Barracuda back together and getting ready to install the fuel tank. My car only has 1 strap to hold the tank in, and it doesn't seem like the safest design. I want to fabricate the mounting tabs to convert it to the '68 and up 2-strap design. Does anyone have pics of the mounting tabs that are attached to the trunk floor? And how are the straps mounted at the front?

Thanks!
Scott

if it aint broke dont fix it but if you was closer and could help me handle it we would drop mine and you could get what you needed anyways good luck on your build its a nice pic

Here is a picture of an original bracket taken when I welded in a new trunk pan patch panel:

shrunkbracketremovedis8.jpg

As far as I know that bracket is not being reproduced. Used will be your only option but all the '68 and up a-bodies had the same bracket.

Thanks for the pics. Nice car by the way! I'll head to the junkyard tomorrow to see what I can find.

Scott

you are right about the single strap design not being safe back in 67 a barracuda got rear ended and the tank fell out and caught fire. So half way through 67 the 2 strap design came about. at least that is the story I heard.

you are right about the single strap design not being safe back in 67 a barracuda got rear ended and the tank fell out and caught fire. So half way through 67 the 2 strap design came about. at least that is the story I heard.

That's kinda what I had figured. There isn't much keeping the tank from moving forward or back. They wouldn't have spent money to redesign it if there wasn't a problem.

Not that I plan to get in an accident, but I do value my life more as I get older...

Scott

-
Back