Pics of pro-touring Duster with 20s?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody have pics of low, pro-touring style Duster's, Demon's, Dart Sports with 20s front and back tucked in nicely?

Oh and you purists and haters can go suck a strudel! :D Lol, or comment, Idc.

How do you think it will look? Stupid

bad-fashion-14-1.jpg

attachment.php

BfEVUgwBGkKGrHqIOKjEry0JkcGMBK49IV77Q_3.jpg

8337070084_16a608cb1b_c.jpg

Thanks Del! Exactly what I was looking for!!

Btw, those cars aren't remotely close to set up how I described. I've got an idea for a car and it might not look good but in the other hand it might be one of those cars that ppl don't expect they'll like but turns out nicer than expected. I've got 2 build ideas for my Duster and no matter which one I do there's gonna be ppl that don't like it, but I frankly don't care:D like I told a friend yesterday, if someone helps fund my project maybe then I'll think about taking their opinions of my build into consideration. But hey, it takes all kinds of kinds, yes?

Happy Moparing! :burnout:

I would really try to talk you out of 20s and into 18s, just because of the overall tire height. You really want to have a tire of about 25.6" overall diameter. Anything bigger than that and you'll have trouble turning it in the front. Also, I really believe that at this tire height the optimum performance is found at 18". The wheel/tire package will be a bit lighter, won't ride too harshly, and still provide great steering feel

Believe me if rather have 18s but these specific wheels are only available in 20s right now. In fact, here's what my plans are, if I go with these wheels I'm gonna do a full pro-touring style build but if I do the other build idea I have I'll still have it built more for turns but will have more of a classic theme to it and I'll be runnin 17x8/18x10 torq thrust 2s.

I was going to suggest 17s or 18s for a pro tourer style. Sucks that the wheel you want is only availible in a 20. To me personally, I don't think A bodies look real good for the pro touring style... generally. To be fair I haven't really seen too many though. That Coronet doesn't look near as bad as the other two, but that's still not quite the stance you're describing. Either direction you go I'd like to see how it turns out. :)

Jut my two cents , so don't get me wrong . You trying to build a pro touring donk lol ? Go with 17 or Max 18 . They both look good first of all and are a good size for touring . Also with 20s your gonna need giant brake rotors for it to look good . I got 17 on my dart and i think it looks great

I've got 2 build ideas for my Duster and no matter which one I do there's gonna be ppl that don't like it,

Who cares, it's your car right? Would I do it, no, I just don't care for the larger wheels, on anything really.

The only one I have seen that swayed me a little is Goldduster318's, those look pretty good. There is another orange Dart on here that don't look tooooo bad either.

Badonkadonk! :poke: :D

Ok guys, I can't get the identical wheels I wanted in 18s but I did find some that are VERY similar and in 18s!! So, show me pics following the about specified guidelines (low, pt, etc.) but with 18s instead of 20s!

Not sure if this duster has actual 20s but I believe its a Hotchkiss built duster. If you can't resist adding modern sized wheels to a old car. This picture seemed to have the most taste I could come up with doing a search for 20s and duster.
I now know what the word "donk" mentioned above is thanks to this search. Geez.
I shall remove those images from my memory. Ugh.
Please no one do that to a Mopar till some of us older guys are dead and gone.
lol. Many horrid sights to come up with this one decent duster image. I pray donk is or was a short lived fad.

Attachments

• kennywayne_duster002lo.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,504
Not sure if this duster has actual 20s but I believe its a Hotchkiss built duster

That's Kenny Wayne Shepard's Duster. Built by Ted Moser, not Hotchkis. It actually uses few different Magnumforce suspension parts. It has 18's in the front and 19's in the back, not 20's.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/0803phr-kenny-wayne-shepherds-1970-plymouth-duster/

18's are easy, and better for the "pro-touring" look because you can run extra backspace to fit larger tires up front, with 17's you still have to worry about outer tie rod end interference. With 18's the outer tie rod end fits inside the lip of the rim. Better performance tire selection in 18" as well, although pretty much anything that comes in 17" is still light years better than a BFG T/A hockey puck.

The trick to larger diameter rims is getting the ride height right. I think 20's can be done right, but at that point you're losing handling capabilities to the weight of the rim and sacrificing ride quality with the super short sidewalls. Plus the car has to sit VERY low for 20's to look right.

18x9's with 275/35/18's up front and 18x10's with 295/35/18's on my "duster".

IMG_2478a_zpsvmagxna0.jpg

IMG_2484a_zpscao5szar.jpg

IMG_1915_zps32183594.jpg

IMG_2251_zpslw7ccgzu.jpg

I DETEST the big wheels on these cars......but man, I gotta say, I cannot say that looks "bad".

That's Kenny Wayne Shepard's Duster. Built by Ted Moser, not Hotchkis. It actually uses few different Magnumforce suspension parts. It has 18's in the front and 19's in the back, not 20's.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/0803phr-kenny-wayne-shepherds-1970-plymouth-duster/

18's are easy, and better for the "pro-touring" look because you can run extra backspace to fit larger tires up front, with 17's you still have to worry about outer tie rod end interference. With 18's the outer tie rod end fits inside the lip of the rim. Better performance tire selection in 18" as well, although pretty much anything that comes in 17" is still light years better than a BFG T/A hockey puck.

The trick to larger diameter rims is getting the ride height right. I think 20's can be done right, but at that point you're losing handling capabilities to the weight of the rim and sacrificing ride quality with the super short sidewalls. Plus the car has to sit VERY low for 20's to look right.

18x9's with 275/35/18's up front and 18x10's with 295/35/18's on my "duster".

IMG_2478a_zpsvmagxna0.jpg

IMG_2484a_zpscao5szar.jpg

IMG_1915_zps32183594.jpg

IMG_2251_zpslw7ccgzu.jpg

The beige duster/demon of 72bluNblu and the Kenny wayne sheppard duster are the only two in this thread that look decent IMO. Stance looks good, with none of the goofy offsets that most people put on there car.

I DETEST the big wheels on these cars......but man, I gotta say, I cannot say that looks "bad".

Rob is that you? Dang man if you're not careful I might take that as a compliment! ;)

The beige duster/demon of 72bluNblu and the Kenny wayne sheppard duster are the only two in this thread that look decent IMO. Stance looks good, with none of the goofy offsets that most people put on there car.

Thanks! And like I said earlier, getting the ride height and profile right are key to making larger diameter wheels look good. You can't just slap them on and expect it to look right, and the bigger the diameter of the wheel the more work you have to do to make it right.

Mine are also 18's. 275-35-18 all the way around. Probably will add a 3/8 spacer in the rear.

I'll say it again, that's a nice looking car. :thumbup: 1/4" lower in the front, about a 1/2" lower in the back, perfect. :D

I'm surprised you want to run a spacer in the rear with 18x9's at +35 and a 275, is that just to line up the track widths? You should have an extra 1/2" of clearance on the inside compared to my set up, and only a 1/4" extra clearance on the outside. And I trimmed back my quarter lip at least a 1/4" to clear my 295's, they're on 18x10's with a +38 offset.

I know it's not a demon/dart/duster but These are 18x10.5 front and rear:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,297
And these are 18 front, 19,s in the rear...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,181
Rob is that you? Dang man if you're not careful I might take that as a compliment! ;)

Thanks! And like I said earlier, getting the ride height and profile right are key to making larger diameter wheels look good. You can't just slap them on and expect it to look right, and the bigger the diameter of the wheel the more work you have to do to make it right.

I'll say it again, that's a nice looking car. :thumbup: 1/4" lower in the front, about a 1/2" lower in the back, perfect. :D

I'm surprised you want to run a spacer in the rear with 18x9's at +35 and a 275, is that just to line up the track widths? You should have an extra 1/2" of clearance on the inside compared to my set up, and only a 1/4" extra clearance on the outside. And I trimmed back my quarter lip at least a 1/4" to clear my 295's, they're on 18x10's with a +38 offset.

Front:

Back:

The 3/8 spacer would make the rear wheelwells look more filled as they were with my 225's. The 225's rubbed once in an extreme condition but I can trim it no sweat.

I'm not sure dropping anything more in the front would work very well here in MI!!! The back I could do but it's really just the way it us currently with stock height springs.

I know it's not a demon/dart/duster but These are 18x10.5 front and rear:

You got new rims! Again!

Still running 285's in the front?

Sheesh! What'd you have to do to get those to fit??

He used a porta-power to push the front fenders out. No, seriously. In the back he did the same, but put some relief cuts in and then rewelded them once the quarters were pushed out.

I run 18's to clear my 14" rotors and Viper calipers. They are mandatory on my car.

I run 18's to clear my 14" rotors and Viper calipers. They are mandatory on my car.

I could get away with 17's on my 13" Dr. Diff "cobra style" brake set up. Maybe not ALL 17's, but I think most would clear. I run 18's to get the backspace I needed to run 275's in the front.

Fine... Again, not a Duster but my Dart. 18 x 9" wheels all the way around with no more than a +5mm spacer. Dr Diff Stage 4 brake kit up front with a +32mm offset and a stock width A-body 8 3/4 rear end with Dr Diff's brake kit and a +22mm offset wheel. 255/40/18's on all corners. Some trimming will be required for the back as it rubs a tad on the fender. Other than that, no modifications.

Attachments

• 20150409_090313.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 20150829_105328 (2).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,092
-
Back