picture of dealer installed a/c

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
I need to see a picture of an early A with a dealer installed (knee knocker) air conditioning unit hanging on the dash. Id like to know how well they fit in the passenger compartment.

Im at a critical point in my project where I have to decide weither or not to rebuild the original heater box and install a knee knocker, or just say to hell with it and install a Vintage Air gen IV setup. The price difference is about $400 between the two choices, unless I can scare up a cheap used underdash unit somewhere, then the price diifference goes up to about $600 between vintage air and the knee knocker.

As if knee knocking was the only issue with the hang on units... They spill water in the floor, their fans start life noisey and get worse with time. But then again, some would throw snow flakes out of the vents LOL. That was only with the r12 freon though.
I dont have a picture or the hundreds.
Good luck

This is in my 66 Dart.
Hope it helps some.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG00156-20110904-1749.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 207
Hey 66 dartman, The primary question is do you like it, and do your passengers like it? If you had the choice, would you rather spend the extra money on the Vintage unit, or keep what you got? I realize that you are in Canananada, which is like a completely different country from Georgia...:D It gets hot as hell down here most anytime that ain't winter (november thru february) and the humidity is killer. For me, passenger comfort is critical, being in my late 20's, single, and all that jazz... I could almost care less about my own comfort, as long as the squeeze is happy!

I grew up with one - not too bad on the leg room (unless you're in the middle of the bench) and NOTHING blows colder air!

My 65 Dart had a knee-knocker, which I will put back. Looks same as above (sorry, only photo I have). However, I won't re-use the beastly Tecumseh cast-iron compressor. It bolts-up like a York, but even heavier. I will use a Sanden (have several new ones, $90-110 ebay).

I have been looking for an under-dash box for my Valiant. I've seen a few rough-looking ones sell for $30 on ebay. Some say Mustang, others just Sears, Western Auto, or such. Don't know if there was a standard for Mopars then. You can buy a new box for ~$100.

New condensers and filters are fairly cheap. For hoses, you could buy a crimper and materials (like me), or have a shop make them. Maybe cheapest to get NOS hoses for another car and cut & fit just one end. O-ring fittings are simplest and most common. I am thinking of using a bulkhead O-ring fitting like rodders do. My dealer AC just drilled ugly holes w/ crooked grommets under the master cylinder.

Attachments

• AC under-dash.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 196
-
Back