Picture of Doug's D453 headers steering clearance

-

wildbill

Reaction score
I am considering switching from my current Hooker comp headers to Doug's. As posted in my earlier thread, I have a steering coupler clamp installed so I am concerned that I may still have steering clearance issues.

Does anybody have a good picture of the Doug's drivers side header clearance by the steering coupler so I can take a look?

Thanks

Wildbill

I'm interested in this too.
I don't have steering coupler clamp, but just installed my Doug's on my 5.9 swap and they are right up against my steering box in two places.

I'm interested in this too.
I don't have steering coupler clamp, but just installed my Doug's on my 5.9 swap and they are right up against my steering box in two places.

It's good information to see what you typed but discouraging as it sounds like another case of "will they fit my car" header....

JW

I am considering switching from my current Hooker comp headers to Doug's. As posted in my earlier thread, I have a steering coupler clamp installed so I am concerned that I may still have steering clearance issues.

Does anybody have a good picture of the Doug's drivers side header clearance by the steering coupler so I can take a look?

Thanks

Wildbill

Here's pictures of the Doug's headers that we put in Eddie's 69 340 GTS last spring...

DSC04775 B.jpg

DSC04778 B.jpg

DSC04785 B.jpg

DSC04791 B.jpg

DSC04795 B.jpg

DSC04786 B.jpg

DSC04783 B.jpg

DSC04786 B.jpg

DSC04793 B.jpg

Thanks KrazyKuda...... That is extremely close. Are the TTI's that close also? Wow.......

JW

Thanks KrazyKuda...... That is extremely close. Are the TTI's that close also? Wow.......

JW

Yeah there are a few spots that get pretty tight with the steering, but we were able to get them in... Overall, if I were going to run headers, I would with the Doug's... I got tired of crushing the Hooker super comps and went back to exhaust manifolds myself...

Not sure about TTI's, haven't done any of those...

Also notice that the pictures of the right (pass) side the nuts are not tightened, so they are just hanging loose...

Here are some more shots of the left one showing the tight spots....

The last two shots are during cam break in when the timing was off and they started glowing... After readjusting the timing, they cooled down to normal color...

DSC04796 B.jpg

DSC04799 B.jpg

DSC04801 B.jpg

DSC04803 B.jpg

DSC04805 B.jpg

DSC05056 B.jpg

DSC05059 B.jpg

Wow, that looks like it is right up against the steering column. Is it because it is a column shift car or do all steering columns come down that far?

Thanks for the pics! That really helps. I think they will fit.
I've taken some snaps off mine , pass side fitted like a Glove , the dark side I needed to massage no 7 tube to allow fittment, and needed to clearence tubes for the 1.03 torsion bars drivers side only. Moved steering column over as far as it allowed me . Was easy to install while bars and drag link was off but I wouldn't go out of my way just to fit them, compared to the short tubes shorties were easy to fit up can pull engine out or back in with them on , easy access to starter motor , long tubes none of the above except more punch which I noticed . Butt dyno!

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

I see you went a bit overboard with the clearancing hammer on tube nr7 there. :)
Looks like you went from 'just touching', to 2cm of play.

I see you went a bit overboard with the clearancing hammer on tube nr7 there. :)
Just a bit overboard Lol I cringed with every blow ! no choice every time we lowered engine to check clearance it kept on hitting, I even shorted that little bolt that holds the collar in place to give some clearance, moved column has far as it allowed me maybe if I had an universal elbow attached to the steering box might have given me a bit more , yes it don't look nice and it bothers me when I see it but it dosnt effect on how it runs.

Last edited:

General rule of engine compartment fitment is allow 1/2" (12 mm) for engine vibration...

Wow, that looks like it is right up against the steering column. Is it because it is a column shift car or do all steering columns come down that far?

They were real close, some of the pictures don't show the actual clearance, but we had to shift the engines on the mounts as good as we could to get some clearance...

That car is actually a console, but may have a column shift steering column...

-
Back