Pictures everyone should view

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
These are great pictures of where we were as a country just 75 years ago. Looking at them makes me realize that many folks suffered through tough times and in a short 75 years we have risen to talk of Drones, cell phones and all we take for granted today. These photos make me glad to have the things we have today and show just how far we have come as a nation. Everyone can learn from them,,,,enjoy
http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

Excellent! REALLY COOL! Thanks for posting that up.
The 1940's is the Decade of my birth, though just barely. ;)

I didn't have to look at those LOL, because I'm old enough to have some idea of how "it was."

My Mom's parents did not have running water until I was in Jr high school in about '60. My Great uncle lost his brother, sold his farm in Oregon, and moved in with them to live. He used his money to drill them a well, and add a bath and remodel the kitchen on their old house.

I well remember very young, two different "Model A" Fords my Dad had, one a dump truck. Here's me, about 4? after investigating how "that little man inside the lights" made them work --- using my toy hammer

I also remember MANY stormy and winter nights with no phone and no power. Our original phone system was a wall mount hand crank deal. Our "ring" was 4 short rings, and I still remember our phone "number" -- 19 F4 -- which meant we were the "19th" customer on the rural line, and our "ring" was "fast 4"

Even after we got a dial phone, we had about 15--20 people "on the line" until just before I joined the Navy in '68

No power? No problem. Quick get some water before "the well pump" bled off, get out the candles, the kerosene lamps, and stoke up the wood heater. Most of the time, our kitchen range was a model that had a "trash burner" on the side, and Mom could cook on that too.

For many years we had no electric water heater. To take a bath, there was a small pot belly stove in the basement which Dad/ Gramps had enclosed with a gravity duct/ plenum up to the bathroom --hot air rises-- and had "water coils" in the stove. So the stove heated bathwater AND heated the bathroom SUMMER AND winter!!!

You can tell I look very unhappy, and the right headlight is broke. This would have been about 1952-3

jgtw7k.jpg

The only reason we did "so well" as a family back then is that "Gramps" had given Dad a smokin deal on the house and 10 acres, and "the run" of the rest of the 40. We had a cow and a beef on the hoof for years. I've helped put up TONS of hay LOOSE, and cut, haul, chop, and carry firewood

Our old Farmall Regular the day it sold around ?2000? We DROVE it on the trailer. You can see the pulleys of the front - mount "buzz saw" on the rear of the trailer

14aykxz.jpg

Gramps and Gramma on the "hay machine," a Model A "Doodlebug" this was taken before we owned the place, and I would have been very young

Next photo is Dad And Gramps, both gone now, Gramps younger by many years than I am now.

Last is the tractor Dad made out of an old grader. It was delivered with just two rear wheels. Originally, it looked something like this one:

ford.jpg

All we got from the junkyard was the rear part with the engine. Dad built the rest. My little sister is hanging onto a second steering wheel, which operates winch drums, visible behind the headlight, which lifted the blade by hand. The front end was about a 36? Ford front axle, originally cable brakes. Dad used to say that "you needed 40 acres to turn it around"

Attachments

• img034cs.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,403
  • img033cs.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,343
  • img002cs.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,919
The true convoluted story of the ?Farragut? toilet

During WWII, there was a huge Navy base in N Idaho called Farragut. Some of you that have been to Boy Scout or Girl Scout jamporees may have been there

1--So the toilet was where it originally was, Farragut? then sometime moved to "our house"

2--We ended up with what I believe to be a surplus Farragut toilet. This was "our toilet" when I was "at the start" of concienceness up until we added to the house when I was about 4 or 5. Dad and Gramps built a bath onto the house, added sewer (had been a cesspool) and remodeled the kitchen.

3--When the remodel was done, the toilet was hauled to Gramps back field for storage, not installed, just sitting there

4--In the early '60's Gramps fixed up a "guest cabin" on his new place, and hauled the old toilet out there and installed it.

5--The last place it was installed -- and where it's rotting today, is back in the trees of where Gramps built his retirement house. This is the best of the story. Gramps who was widowed, had remarried a "Southern Belle," a real "lady" who did NOT like riding in "trucks."

Now Gramps had an "interesting" pickup. This was an old about 52--54 Chev, swooping cut out rear racks, lots of extra clearance lights, "winshield visor," and "tastefully" painted in a fairly bright two -tone blue. You could see it comin' fer miles. "Velma" HATED that thing.

So I'm going towards home one day, and HERE pointing directly at me is the rear of Gramps parked pickup, WITH the "Farragut" toilet -- the "dirty end" -- aimed right at me. And here sits the VERY embarrassed Velma waiting for Gramps to return with help -- the thing had broken a U joint, and would not move.

So that one outdoor toilet has been to AT LEAST 5 different locations in it's long life.

Yep, my era also. Had hundreds of hours seat time in an old Farmall "M" before I entered high school.

I wouldn't want to go back to the days of no electricity or running water, but I'd trade an awful lot of what some believe to be necessary today, for the freedoms we enjoyed.

As late as the 70's and even early 80's, some of my "people" in rural Southern Ohio still had wells for drinkning. Some had bathroom additions on their houses that were less then 5 or 10 years old. Some were still on party lines, and most of the older men still prefered to use the outhouse, than the indoor toilet.

-
Back