Pilot shaft bushing for 64-66 273s

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Dorman or any other part number for the thinner pilot shaft bushing for our 273 forged cranks?

Years back, both bushings came in the clutch kit, but now only the thicker one is included.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Found an old one in my bolt bin that fit with a hammer and a little finesse. Not sure what part November it was.

Those bushings are all the same size.....273, 318, 340, 360, 383, 440, etc. Sounds to me like you're trying to install it in an automatic crank. Most automatics didn't get the final machine work to install the bushing. Either you need to have the crank machined (probably expensive), or what I've been doing on them is to run a brake cylinder hone in the rough pilot hole to smooth it out a bit, then cut down a bushing to fit. I used an adjustable reamer to lock inside the bushing, then chucked the reamer into my drill press to cut it down with some sand paper to the right size. (slight interference fit). If you have a lathe, probably a bit easier, but, that was all I had at the time.

Awesome. If I have to change things out again will need to call Wayne and have him send me a couple.

Cool! I didn't know anyone had tooled up to make those. Forget my method! Use that bearing from Brewers.

I was about to trim down a bushing similar to gow you had described to make one fit when I found the last one I had kept..

It came from a warrantied LUK clutch that came apart in less than 5000 miles. Springs all came loose. The replacement that I just took out let the throw out bearing inside the clutch fingers also within 3000 miles. Kinda glad pep boys doesn't sell parts anymore so I didn't attempt to warranty it. Picked up a rhino pak which looks stronger and better built.

the disc I took out and came apart on some of the edges near rivets and had uneven wear. Center on one side and edge on the other.
20230812_122015.jpg

20230812_122023.jpg

Those bushings are all the same size.....273, 318, 340, 360, 383, 440, etc. Sounds to me like you're trying to install it in an automatic crank.
At first I thought no, couldn't be. But then I remembered I replaced the crank about 6 years ago and it had a brand new bushing in it. It was a forged crank out of a 66 273-4 auto engine. It was a drilled crank and I didn't think anything of it at the time. That really explains why I had such issues with it this time.

Thank you @cudamark

-
Back