pinion angle

-

hardcharger426

Reaction score
Hey a bodies,

New guy here, can someone tell me the pinion angle on an 8 3/4 on a small block 71 duster with an automatic?

I have a 65 8 3/4 out of a b body and i need to move the perches on.

thanks

-4 is where mines at. any more than that and asking for vibrations.

also, I have a distance of 43 1/4 measured from spring to spring center without the rearend in it, is this right?

the degree all depends on the amount of hp and tq the only way to find out is to take the car to the track and try difrferent angles 2-3 and 4 degrees negative best et will give u the best angle as long as your not spinning the tires

Can you guys point me int he right direction....sorry to sound stoopid....When you say -4 do you mean the pinion gear shaft is -4 degrees from horizontal?? IE pointing towards the ground vs the sky? I assume this would be with the car sitting on the ground and not jacked up....thanks

-4 degrees should be the difference between the angle of the driveshaft and the angle of the pinion. measure the pinion angle off the flat surface that the snubber sits on. a carpenters angle finder is the tool you need and can be found at lowe's or home depot or you can purchase the correct from an auto tool sales place like snap-on for a bunch more money.

I bought this angle finder
Johnson.jpg
at the local hardware store. Placed it on the flat surface of the trans output shaft. (ended up with -3) Then measured from the rear yoke. It measured -1. So the total was -4.

I had a friend help with my Duster a couple of years ago and we ended up with -4 also. This doesn't seem to vary much does it?

I am getting ready to do the same job next weekend. Is there a way to do it without removing the driveshaft? I thought you could measure the angle of the driveshaft and also the flat where the snubber bolts on. And then take the difference between the two?!?

Hey a bodies,

New guy here, can someone tell me the pinion angle on an 8 3/4 on a small block 71 duster with an automatic?

I have a 65 8 3/4 out of a b body and i need to move the perches on.

thanks

Mopar Performance Chassis Manual says 5*-7* nose down.

If it's a daily driver weekend car, try to keep the angle at no more than about 4* down.

If it's a racecar, then set it a little steeper if necessary when using a leaf spring car. If you have a traction device, then set it according to what that device requires, like cal-tracs.

YMMV

-
Back