Pinion gear seal leak

-

75 Duster 360

Reaction score
I had to rob the pinion yoke from one centersection to use on another. I later bought another used pinion yoke and installed it but now it is leaking. What all is involved in replacing the pinion gear seal?

Generally you just remove the yoke, pop the seal out and snug the yoke back up.
(Snug for a yoke)
Some recommend replacing the crush sleeve and re torqueing (If there is a crush sleeve in yours)
Some recommend replacing the crush sleeve with a non crush adjustable type spacer.

I have replaced I don't know how many by doing the first way I said and had zero problems doing it that way.

Same here, zero problems.
Those crush sleeves are tremendously hard to compress.
Different pinion nuts, have different torque specs, so research it.Theres lots of things worse than having a loose nut, but it can get expensive in a hurry.

Thanks for the info. I have a 489 case. When I reinstalled the yoke, I used an air wrench and tried to snug it up, but not too much. The gears are still working fine so far. I may try as you'll suggested.

This is how I change the seal on a crush sleeve pinion.
- Remove tires, drums, and drive shaft.
- Take a punch and mark the pinion and nut for reference.
- Rotate pinion and check the torque in inch lbs and write it down.
- Before you remove the yoke punch a mark so you can reinstall it on the same splines.
- Change seal, coat pinion threads with Red loctite and retorque until the reference mark is lined up.
- Rotate pinion and check inch lb reading.

-
Back