Pinion snubber

-

motorhead446

Reaction score
I have heard various opinions as to use or not use a pinion snubber with super stock springs in an A body in my case. What's the answer?

It works on my car, but I am not running super stock springs. I have mopar performance XHD springs in mine.

I have a adjustable snubber with my SS springs but will soon come out....have a vintage set of Direction Connection spring clamps to slap on the front leafs to help with wheel hop...I run MT ET Drag Radials and they hop on the street and track...340 4-speed 66 Valiant.

I have a adjustable snubber with my SS springs but will soon come out....have a vintage set of Direction Connection spring clamps to slap on the front leafs to help with wheel hop...I run MT ET Drag Radials and they hop on the street and track...340 4-speed 66 Valiant.

I made a set of clamps for mine. Have not installed yet. I feel a small "slip" for lack of a better word on nearly every launch. It feels like my tires are moving on the rims but I have verified that it is not that. Just thinking the snubber is causing it.

Totally unnecessary with SS springs. Use it for a doorstop.

The SS Springs do two things...they preload weight to the Right Rear, and they inhibit spring wrap...key word, inhibit.
They are intended to be used with a snubber. The snubber does two crucial things. First, it uses the axles torque reaction to push the tires into the ground, and second...and this is SUPER IMPORTANT if you are running an 8.75 without a back brace, it will keep the sheet steel housing from twisting over time.
You need it, and if you want the car to work properly, it needs to be set correctly.

Just a suggestion, but you may have better results by going to a set of stiffer rear shocks, like Rancho's. Shocks help control the spring wrap-up and subsequent "unwrap". Otherwise, they can "spring" back & forth. The more power and/or the harder the initial hit (your 4 speed), the more you need stiffer shocks.

When I first got my Dart Sport I had a wheel-hop issue under certain track conditions with Comp. Engineering shocks. Rancho's eliminated that. It still slipped or spun when conditions got bad, but no wheel-hop.

Shocks have zero control over spring wrap, but they do have a direct effect in using the cars weight to directly plant the tires. A weak shock will follow the tires oscillations and cause hop. That has nothing to do with the pinion rotating upwards.

Caltracs > pinion snubbers... All depends on how agressive you intend to be with the car. I will be building a set of Caltracs vs having the snubber installed on the Dana 60 I am in the process of building.

-
Back