Pistol Grip Shifter Help

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does the pistol grip handle need to be removed to install a new shift boot ? It doesn't seem like the boot will stretch over the top of the handle before tearing.

How do you remove the handle from the shift box on a "press-in" style pistol grip shifter.....:scratch:

Thx 4 any help

Does the pistol grip handle need to be removed to install a new shift boot ? It doesn't seem like the boot will stretch over the top of the handle before tearing.

How do you remove the handle from the shift box on a "press-in" style pistol grip shifter.....:scratch:

Thx 4 any help
Remove the boot,undo 2 bolts holding old shifter on.I replaced my boot with a rectangle top(69 non console I think),so the new pistol grip shifterslid in the boot easily.then bolt the shifter backon,then screw down the boot.I,m gonna search for the thread....hang on.:D

Here ya go...http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=160406&highlight=pistol+grip

Thx for your reply Petty. The pistol grip is not a bolt on style is the problem. It's a "push-in" or "press fit" I think it's called.

It looks exactly like a regular pistol grip shifter, but the handle is pressed in to the shifter box, instead of bolting on the box like yours.

I'm pretty sure it was a 70 only option on the E-Bodies.

I'll post a pic later today if needed.

Somebody has to know how this comes apart :banghead:

You might have to drill 2 holes at the bottom of the shifter to install in the Hurst shifter box.Once you remove your boot,you will see how it attaches.Good luck.

Slip in style shift box/handle.

Use feeler gauges to release the handle from the box. I don't remember which side the feeler go in, or both sides. Once you get the pins to release, the handle will come out.

slip in style shift box/handle.

Use feeler gauges to release the handle from the box. I don't remember which side the feeler go in. Once you get the pins to release, the handle will come out.

this

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 907
Thank U CB......."slip in" style. I couldn't remember what it was called, just knew it was different than the bolt in ones :thumblef:

Great pic you found 67Dart273......Thx :grin:

Xlnt link.....I probably should have used the search function over on the B-Body site #-o, but maybe this thread will help some members here too.

Now, lemme see if I can get this handle off with a feeler gauge. I'll let U know :cheers:

Does the handle seem at ALL loose in the shifter? Maybe it's rusted in, could someone have welded the handle in?

Hope no one welded it in- more likely just stuck together from 40+ years. Try a little penetrating lube on both sides of the handle- then make sure the feeler gauges on both sides of the handle go far enough down to release the spring clips. You'l be able to feel the spring clips with the feeler gauges. Just go past them and it will release but it will still take some muscle/leverage to get the handle off. Good luck!

Still can't get this dang thing apart. I'd really like to speak with the brilliant engineer that designed this :violent1:

No wonder they redesigned it for the 71 models....:sign7:

Here's a pic I pulled off the Brewer's Performance website. It actually shows clips on both sides of the shift handle, but it still won't come apart :banghead:

View attachment 1714513113

And here's the shifter I'm working with........

View attachment 1714513115

you need to mount the shifter to something solid ... like the trans in the car and put a .010 blade in both sides .

:thumbup: Thx for your suggestions Big Jim.....I was using some WD40 to coax it as suggested in the FBBO thread that's linked above. Yes it was really stuck, but luckily not welded.

you need to mount the shifter to something solid ... like the trans in the car and put a .010 blade in both sides .

Finally mounted in the vise and it still took 2 of us, with a prybar to get that dang thing out.......

What a PITA, but it's finally out.

And yes, there were clips on both sides of the shifter........

Thanks Everyone :D =D> =D>

Attachments

• Pistol Grip Shifter Slip In 004 (Small).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 770
  • Pistol Grip Shifter Slip In 005.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 742
  • Pistol Grip Shifter Slip In 010 (Small).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 792
Another comment for ya. "Back in" the day I tried to improve things on my 70 RR by buying an aftermarket competition plus, and adapted the pistol grip to the new shifter.

IT WON'T stay tight without the serrations on the normal bolt on shifter handles. You must have those on a bolt--on or it will work loose.

I think I finally just gave up, tore the shifter apart (to spare the plastic) and welded the handle

-
Back