Pistol grip shifter

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked before. I would like to put a pistal grip shifet in my 72 Duster and wanted to know which one works best. I have been told the shifter that fits a B body works well but I want to hear from someone that put a pistal grip in their Duster and where thy got it from. Pics would be great

I think a lot of guys use the 71 B body non console version, but to me they look to tall, and I love the looks of the E body short one much better, so thats what I used in my duster. I simply fabed up a 3/8 inch thich steel plate that alows me to tilt the handle back to a comfortable position and bolt the handle to it, and it's all under the boot so you can't tell. The picture is before I installed the plate to tilt the handle back.

Attachments

• my duster 2 090 (Large).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 663
heres a couple I found...

Attachments

• i17400 (Large).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 618
  • duster reference pic.s 033 (Large).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 662
Go with a 71 non console B Body to get the look of the shifter in the previous picture. E bodies are 2 short for my liking.

Is there any difference how it bolts in to the stock Duster shifter, or does it just bolt in the same way?

the second pic. is the 71 B body non console shifter I belive, and looks to tall for my taste with the goofy bends it has, and has a longer throw, than the shorter E body shifters. They bolt right on with two bolts, as long as you purchase the bolt on stye. There are slip in style handles that use no bolts. ( You don't want those for your aplication) It really boils down to personal taste which one you use.

heres a pic. of mine again with the interior finished

Attachments

• duster reference pic.s 003 (Large).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 647
I am sure this question has been asked before. I would like to put a pistal grip shifet in my 72 Duster and wanted to know which one works best. I have been told the shifter that fits a B body works well but I want to hear from someone that put a pistal grip in their Duster and where thy got it from. Pics would be great

Do you have a bench seat or buckets? I have a 71-74 b-body non console bench shifter to try in my 66 which has a bench, the height is perfect for my car. If you have buckets, the e-body one may be better cause the seats are lower.

Got mine off of Ebay direct from Hurst. Everyone's around the same price but coming from Hurst I knew I would have no issues after the purchase that would become painful.

you can get them from yearone or classic industries, or just about any mopar supplier.

I got a used one on eBay but new ones are mint but more expensive. You can buy all the parts to restore an original too if you go that route.

I don't think any will fit that, you will have to make an adapter bracket of some kind or modify one.

If I did it and made a brackey what wold be best choice?

Not sure, maybe the E-body one? If you want a console and pistol grip, this is what I would do. Buy a used pistol grip shifter and another Hurst shifter that has the same flat stick shape. (I have a Hurst B-body bench shifter with a shift ball that I would use, it is really long) Take the other shifter and heat it up and bend it where it needs to clear, then when you have the right length cut the top off, then cut the base off the E-body one and weld the 2 together. Then grind the welds flush and have it rechromed. Not sure how this would work, probably time consuming but if having the console makes you happy...:glasses7:

Also, look at the factory 4-speed consold shifters, they have a groovy looking base that could help by studying them.

Here are some pics of a variety of shifters to give you an idea. The b-body one I mentioned is the last pic on the max wedge, I got one on ebay like that for $20, complete with patina :glasses7:

Attachments

• MVC-052S.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 464
  • MVC-051S.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 464
  • hURST_207_scott.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 454
  • Wedge.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 477
Do you have buckets or a bench? I think it will make a difference. I have a bench and the b body non console shifter. I think if it were any shorter it would hit my seat. I think with a bench the b body non console one looks the best but with buckets I like the shorter one. Id post a pic but I can't right now. There's pics in my build thread the link is in my sig.

-
Back