Piston height question

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
I'm installing TRW L2316 in my 340, )the picture attached is not mine , but shows the same piston installed above deck) mine are .030 above - I'm going to check valve clearance this weekend. Is there a chance I won't need to shave these ? I had the old forged domed 340 pistons in there prior - I'm assuming if these things cleared okay, I might be fine.

340.jpg

Unless you are running a long duration camshaft you should not have any problems.

I ran those pistons with a mopar 590 cam.

also...you can use a thicker head gasket it needed.

That'd be great. I'll be checking all that out later with the guy that's helping me with reassembly - X-heads, cc'd about 75, lots of room in there, hope I can get the right combo. Thanks. I'm also guessing the reason they shaved the pistons on this build (same as mine) was due to using the Eddy heads (see about half way down the page) Mine will be the same but with ported X's, Lunati 60403 and an Air-Gap. Hope to get close to 400hp. : http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/37345_favorite_engine_combinations/edelbrock.html

That's fine. It means either the decks have been milled, or the block was line honed, or both. They are design IIRC to be .018 above deck.Bear in mind your static compression ratio will be high for pump fuel depending on cam.

I'm using the el-cheapo Fel Pro 8553PT head gaskets that came in the kit- I believe they're about .050 thick, should help me with compression - I'll run the calculator - anybody know what compressed thickness should run on the 8553 gasket ?

Found the specs on the gaskets - .048 compressed. So with all calculated out - should be about 9.1:1 compression. Should I consider a thinner gasket and shoot for a little more ? Valve reliefs measured 8cc using a syringe in the kitchen (should be close).

I would shoot for 9.5 to 9.7 compression especially with the cam you plan to run. I'd run a .039" gasket. Degree the cam in first. Then check your piston to head clearance and your piston to valve clearances before final assembly.

So to bump the compression up considering the current conditions (pistons .030 above deck) what direction should I be heading ? I planned on assembling this weekend but now I may need to work on configuration ? I'm using one of the on-line calculators, don't know if there's a gasket thin enough to do the trick (and still allow me the clearance I need). Like to avoid more machine work ($$)

I just took the 8553PT Felpros off my 360 to use Cometic.027 gaskets. My old Felpros they measured .050.

-
Back