Pitman Arm removal ??

-

Dusterdenovo

Contentedly Old School
Reaction score
'73 Duster, Manual Steering box.

The puller I have is too narrow to fit over this Pitman arm, so I've been trying to get it off with my 12 ton shop press. Bathed it in Liquid Wrench for a couple of days, been "tapping" it with a hammer to try to loosen it up, also warmed it up with a heat gun (have stayed away from a torch). Damn thing hasn't budged.

Any thoughts as to why this isn't working?

Thanks.

Pitman arm on press.JPG

Same trouble when I replaced mine and I had a large puller. I finally split it 3 times with a 4" cutoff wheel to remove it. Don't know if that's what you want to do ,just what I did.
Yote

Get out the honest to goodness "torch" and heat it up.
You need lots of heat to break that rust bond loose.
After all you are (Canada)
Your press method is good, and really should work, with lots of heat.
My 2 cents, worth, anyway.

I should have mentioned that I want to reuse the Pitman arm with a new steering box, and hope to sell the old Steering box for a few bucks.

How much heat is too much, in terms of damaging the PA or is that even an issue? I have a temp gun if needed.

Put the pressure on it and heat it till it pops off. IMO. When it comes off, you will know how much hear it will take. :thumbsup: EDIT: With a torch, heat gun will not do it.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem when using a correct pitman arm puller. On the threaded center I did use my trusty impact gun - pulled it right off.

I would load the press pressure then smack the crap out of the arm with a heavy shop hammer.

-
Back