PItman shaft seal installation advice

-
Yes,I understand that. I had read other threads where members claimed the pump pressure wasn't enough to blow the seals out,thats why I said I hope the pressure will be enough to do it. It's also recommended to put white petroleum jelly on the seals before sliding them over the shaft.
I hope to get to it this weekend.ill let you know how it turns out.
Just curious but how do people get the steering box out of there if they need to replace it? Theirs not much room. (I have a v8 car)
any kind of lube on the seals so that they don't roll the lip when you install them is always a good idea. sometimes i'll pack the b-side of the seal with grease so that the spring doesn't jump out.

the steering box isn't all that bad if you have stock exhaust. the worst part is loosening the steering column.

punch out the roll pin that retains the coupler. then loosen up the column. pull the pitman (i like to pull the whole tie rod and centerlink so that i can have more room to work). crack the pressure line but don't remove it. then wiggle waggle the column off the shaft. pop off the three bolts that hold it on-- but keep one of the lowers in a few turns just keep the box there while you pull the pressure and return line off and ebb the flow of the juice-- a bolt in the return and a fitting plug for the pressure (or a zip lock bag w/ a towel). swing back under there and pull the last bolt and try not to get hit in the face by the box.

you *might* have to loosen the exhaust at the coupler drop the pipe and swing it back.

They are "self tapping" screws outta my bins, not sure the size, take the replacement seal with you to help decide, thin, and sharp.
drywall screws work well for this.

just exercise caution! don't wanna nick the shaft

-
Back