Pivot shaft fitment

-

Calebnielson6

Reaction score
I am currently rebuilding the front suspension on my 73 dart for the first time. I am about to press the pivot shafts into the LCA bushings. Before I do that I stuck the pivot shafts into the k-member and there is a substantial amount of play between the shaft and the hole in the k member for the shaft. The shafts also slide in and out freely. Is this normal???

20220802_143243.jpg

Pivot pin is an interference fit in the tube on one end (The LCA end). Could be a few reasons for this not being the case, but that k-member appears to have been "repaired" and not done well. This is my son's k-member and it had some really poor repairs. When we had it out a few years ago I set out to fix it properly. I also have a jig that will locate the tubes properly. You can see in the pic where it tapers down for the interference fit. Second pic is part of the damage.

20180916_144642.jpg

20180911_142529.jpg

Last edited:
Check the welded-in tube in the K-member for damage. Make sure the hole is round and that the tube is still welded in and there are no cracks starting in the tube, or, body of the K-member itself. As long as the pin doesn't wobble in the hole, it should be fine once it's bolted in.

This is what the two tubes look like from the backside... my best guess is that this isn't to good. When I stick the pins in they wobble. Would it be in my best interest to repair the tubes and buy some new pins? If so what would be your guy's recommendation for repair...

20220803_225646.jpg

20220803_225515.jpg

This is what the two tubes look like from the backside... my best guess is that this isn't to good. When I stick the pins in they wobble. Would it be in my best interest to repair the tubes and buy some new pins? If so what would be your guy's recommendation for repair...

View attachment 1715965356

View attachment 1715965357
Pins ain't much money. Especially when Ya consider the possible negative outcomes. If things are wobbly, I'd get a new K, or maybe Nicely ask Jim if he'd redo yours? He's the Man! They Have to be located correctly... that said, I caint see the pics that well, but they Shouldn't move around!

I don't have the parts to fix this, unless I'm not seeing something. As hard as they are to find these days I'd be looking for a k-member. It's unlikely that the pins are worn badly. I'd certainly be glad to look at it for an evaluation, but shipping costs are stupid right now.

-
Back