pix of fuel filter placement

-

rdb

Reaction score
Figured it was better than my earlier post -- isn't this fuel filter in the worst possible place... right above exhaust?

On my old car it was more on the side of the engine but again that was rubber hoses.

Will there be more trouble on the hot as hell days w slow traffic than if mounted elsewhere... could this lead to vapor lock more quickly?

Attachments

• DCP_0002.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 336
Actually, it is right above the Intake port. The Exhaust ports are the rusty looking ones. They will be much hotter than the intake runner. Although they do connect together below the carb. This will transfer some heat to the intake, but I think it is negligible.

Yeah, you might want to move it over to the valve cover area. I like it more up front so it catches the air flow from the fan.

run it from the front. filter behind the fan with hard line to the carb. The 1920 has a weep hole behind the venturi that spits gas onto the hot intake when the accelerator pump goes south. Very scary when you see that happening on a hot motor.

I like to put it close to the fuel pump discharge side.It gets alot of air flow from the fan below the alternator.

I like to put it close to the fuel pump discharge side.It gets alot of air flow from the fan below the alternator.

This is the safest place to put it. Every Mopar motor I've ever seen has it installed inches above the fuel pump by the discharge side. As much as I hate Fram filters, get one of their metal ones instead of plastic.

Plastic filters suck and tend to leak. With that said the placement is one of the factory locations. Mopar changed them in later years (can't remember when but 71 has the newer way) in order to reduce the likely hood or vapor lock.

Where you have it now is fine...

I like the plastic filters so you can see if there is gas in there or not...

Slantsixdan did this write-up/modification.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15778

that write up Dan did is the pretty much accepted method to change over to.

I can attest to watching the gas BOIL in the plastic fuel filter when run the OEM way. modern gas sucks for oem thing. modern gas sucks for one thing!!
Dan method cures all those problems. and yes, only time that plastic filter has a purpose is to check out what crap is getting sucked up from the gas tank!!!!!

-
Back