Plastic for cooling sucks.

-
I've fixed a few of those. My 01 Durango has plastic "Y"s. And I know enough people with caravans that have come to me with that issue
On plastic radiators yeah. Lotsa leaks at the aluminum to plastic joint, and I've seen my share of blowouts as well being a fleet mechanic, employed by the miserable state I live in

I've fixed a few of those. My 01 Durango has plastic "Y"s. And I ki
i still use th 50 yea old original rad in my car , never a problem , i change the fluid every 3 years and make sure it is clean with no buildup of crap before i fill it again , plastic forget it had 3 plastic rads go in 2 years on my nissan

Speaking of Chrysler minivans, my 2002 T&C 3.8L had some plastic coolant fittings. One broke when I was fiddling with the heater hoses and I wondered "WTF is this for?". It was a small inline nipple and it broke for many owners. It simply added a slight restriction, perhaps to reduce noise or to slightly alter the proportioning of flow to my rear heater. I tossed it and no noise. If flow ratio was the purpose, why bother since you can just adjust the rear blower speed for more or less heat. There were also 90 deg plastic fittings which turned upward thru the floor just in front of the rear wheels (only if rear climate option). I tossed those too when I re-hosed with silicone hose everywhere (lasts forever). I just slightly bent the aluminum tubes to better match the turn. Might have also been a tee to send coolant rearward. If so, I replaced those with copper fittings.

But, not all plastic is bad. My 1985 M-B transmission has fairly large plastic parts inside, but nylon which seems to last for a long time even in hot oil. I recall some small nylon parts in Chrysler transmissions too. But, not sufficient for the stresses of the camshaft gear, which had nylon teeth in the 1960's for less noise, since those quickly wore (my 1965 Chrysler as I recall).

Plastic strikes again
On my 96 Dakota 4wd this time.
Last week I noticed puddles in the very front of the engine compartment, snow on the ground made it easier to spot, shortly after I'd shut it off
Twice last week I discovered my reserve bottle almost empty. I waited til yesterday to CK it out because of the holiday, knowing nobody would be open and I didn't have to go anywhere anyway.
I put my pressure tester on it and I didn't even get to pump it up to 7 psi and yup, it was leaking at the seam between aluminum and plastic....
I had bought that radiator new in 2016.
Good thing for lifetime warranty.
I actually still had the radiator out of the 92 Dakota I used to have, up in the garage attic// so I put that one in the 96. I'd also replaced that radiator that was in the 92, while I owned "that" Dakota// so that radiator doesn't have a whole lot of miles on it either. . I then went back to O'Reilly's, and the clerk looked it up and found out when I originally bought the one that was in my 96. So I have a replacement that is supposed to be here (at the local O'Reilly's anyway) tomorrow.

The really screwy part? I paid $114 for that now leaky radiator, back in 2016. Now? That same damn radiator now costs $248!!!!! Glad I ain't having to pay that for it. I'll stick the new one that's coming tomorrow, back up in the attic/ as I hope to keep this Dakota til the wheels fall off of it.

Mopar 3.6 thermostats are the same junk. Just like the mini van heater hoses by the firewall that blow up.
Yeah I just had to replace them too (the plastic Y pipes as one split and left me on the side of the highway a couple months back)... for now I bypassed the rear heater core. Stupid effing plastic crap

-
Back