Plastic repair tips, '69 Bcuda dash mods...

-

butterball

Banned
Reaction score
The dash in my '69 Barracuda was trashed. Gauges were junk, speedo junk...worst of all someone had hacksawed it for a CD player. Since it's pretty common to end up with a dash that's junk, I thought I'd pass along some hints on repairing cracked or broken plastic.

Since my car came with a 5 inch tach mounted (kind of) on top of the dash...and the holes in the dash are about 5 inches, I decided to put it in the dash. I opened it up just a touch with a dremel tool, and cut out the cast aluminum back with a jigsaw for it to fit. I'll get a matching speedometer for the other side. As luck would have it, the center hole is just the right size for a 2-5/8 gas gauge to fit in it, so I'll get that to match, as well.

Note the hack job on the radio opening...

MVC-039S.jpg

To start, I picked up a pretty well-used glovebox trim at the Nats for $10. Then the radio hole was marked and cut, and the glovebox piece was trimmed to fit. (The little "Barracuda" leftover end piece will be used elsewhere.) Note how little of the original dash is left between the radio hole and the lighter socket hole. That's bound to be a trouble spot if it isn't strengthened.

MVC-008S-3.jpg

There are a couple of things that come in really handy when you're messing with plastic. The little glue bottle has a small needle tip and contains Methylene Chloride Reagent. I have a friend in the plastics industry who lets me "borrow" a little of it now and then; it works great for fixing small cracks. I don't know where you can buy the stuff, but it's worth searching for! For accurate cutting, and then "welding" the plastic back together, use a 140 watt soldering gun with a cutting tip and a smoothing tip.

MVC-012S-2.jpg

Below is how it looked after gluing the edges with the Reagent. It makes a really strong bond, but probably not enough to make the dash stand up to normal use, especially with the small amount of original dash plastic that was left between the radio and lighter socket openings. If you can't find Reagent, you can use another type of plastic cement for this step. You just need to hold the repair in place until it can be "welded".

MVC-009S-1.jpg

I had some plastic pieces of a broken '66 Fury dash that I cut into strips with the soldering gun for reinforcements. I bonded them with the Reagent to hold them in place, then used the smoothing tip to "weld" the plastic together around the edges. Be careful not to melt through to the front side, and always make sure there's enough room behind whatever you're working on that it'll still fit when you're done adding extra plastic behind it. This method makes a repair that's stronger than the original dash!

MVC-013S-2.jpg

After everything is solid and secure, the seams need to be finished. I used a file to make plastic "dust", and rubbed it over the seams in all directions to fill the voids. Then I dripped just a touch of Reagent on it, which "melted" the dust and filled the cracks. I did this several times on each seam until they were filled, then stole my wife's little "Mouse" detail sander to smooth things up a little.

MVC-019S-1.jpg

I hit the area with a little gray primer; from here on out it's just like painting anything else...prime it, sand to find high/low spots, prime again... now it's a "Radio Delete" dash!

MVC-022S-1.jpg

I have some other stuff I may try out on it, if I get the time I'll update later.

Nicew repair work. You have forged a new trail.

GREAT post............some great ideas and some great work there........That's what makes this site the best. :cheers:

GREAT diy information - that is gonna look awesome when done. Just one thing I need to pass along: you never 'steal' anything from your wife! You may 'borrow' or 'appropriate' or 'gee honey, I thought that one was mine', but you never ever admit (especially in writing where she may see it) that you 'stole' it!!! Gotta keep the peace in order to maintain support for your car-building. LOL.

Well, the space behind the radio was just about as hacked as the dash. I'll end up hacking it even more to make some room, then making new braces to help hold everything.

MVC-024S-1.jpg

When I saw how snug the gauges fit into 2 inch PVC, I knew I wanted to get rid of the under-dash "pod" and find a way to make it all fit where the radio was.

MVC-025S-1.jpg

All it took was hours of nerve-wracking Dremel work and more plastic welding and gluing, but I finally got everything where I want it. The PVC rings in the pic are of different heights; I'm gonna have some PVC pipe precisely cut down at a machine shop, and have a slight bevel put on the front edge in a lathe. Hey, where'd the lighter go?

MVC-028S.jpg

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, got busy, forgot my password, had trouble logging back on.....

The dash is almost finished, I ended up using Autometer angled mounts for the three lower gauges.

Since the pic below I finished the silver paint on the horizontal area at the top of the dash, and sent the tach to Autometer to have the Monster bezel cut off and have a new one put on to match the new speedometer. I still need to touch up some of the black and paint the letters for the light switch, etc.

MVC-011S-3.jpg

MVC-012S-4.jpg

Very Nice And Trick...major Amounts Of Time And Patience..........looks Awesome..............

Went lookig for the "Methylene Chloride Reagent". That stuff is limited available and caution should be used. It must be the "good stuff" as it is considered a hazardous material and special shipping required. Oh by the way nice work on the dash!

-
Back