plating a 70 Duster in Ontario questions

-

TheBigE

70 Duster - Slant 6
Reaction score
Hello.

My 70 Duster will be arriving shortly. For pics see my new members entry under London Ontario.

Since the last time I bought a Mopar(1993 I think for my 70 Newport???) I've been told that I now need an appraisal done for the MTO to get it plated. Is this true? I guess the bill of sale and blue book value thing is now obsolete?? I've been also told that possibly I can get away with just my insurance company filling in a form or something and telling the MTO what the car will be insured for...this then covers as a legal way of having its value determined??

Any ideas??

Thanks for any help.

The Big E, London

The Ontario license bureau wants a receipt and an appraisal, they will charge you tax based on the higher amount. The appraisal is now done on a form that they will give you. You need a licensed car appraiser to do the form. Actually, you can fill in the form yourself, but you need the car appraisers license number and signature which they will punch into the computer to verify, so trying to scam them won't work. The only way around this is to know an appraisers number already. These appraisers usually charge about $150, give or take, for an appraisal. Make a photocopy for your records! Next time you need an appraisal, just copy their number and other pertinent info and then you can avoid paying them again...but that's lying, it's just one way some people do it. :)

This appraisal is strictly for sales tax, so you want it done when the car is in AS IS condition and you want it to be a low amount. Once you fix it up, you will want another appraisal done for insurance purposes. This appraisal you'll want to reflect a higher amounts in case of accident.

I never provided an appraisal when I registered mine last year. I bought mine off of e-bay. I provided a receipt for a reasonable amount and paid the taxes on it. I did get the car appraised later for insurance purposes. Andrew.

Thanks for the info men.

I wonder if there is a variation between licensing offices now that it's all privatized??? The guy I'm buying it off of in Woodstock for example is saying that his MTO office is strict, while he's been to one in Dorchester(just east of London) and they've been more relaxed.

Andrew, was your e-bay buy from outside of Ontario??? Maybe that can effect it too???

Ernie

Thanks for the info men.

I wonder if there is a variation between licensing offices now that it's all privatized??? The guy I'm buying it off of in Woodstock for example is saying that his MTO office is strict, while he's been to one in Dorchester(just east of London) and they've been more relaxed.

Andrew, was your e-bay buy from outside of Ontario??? Maybe that can effect it too???

Ernie

I think the Ontario Gvm't will take your(THEIR) tax money regardless of where the sale was made.

With any used vehicule in Ontario, the seller needs to get a "seller's package" from the MTO. As far as requiring an appraisal, the larger MTO offices will go by the book, but smaller (private) ones will be more foregiving, as no copies of the appraisal are actually taken, or go on file. They just want a value, so they can tax you. A $500. bill of sale and the seller's package generally keeps them happy, as you will be donating to the tax man, depending on wether it's a private sale or from a dealer the tax % differs.

Get your plates in a small village, you wont get hassled about the appraisal.

I'm in Ontario, Kitchener.

Good luck,

Amazing that there would be that much difference between offices, but that's kinda what the seller indicated...go to a smaller town and the appraisal could be optional!!!

Not having one would be much easier, then I don't have to transport the Duster to the appraiser and don't have to have one come to my place to appraise it. And of course saving the money is also good.

The Big E

Thanks for the info men.

Ernie
Hi Ernie, I picked up my car in the States and registered it in Grimsby Ontario. Small office, not sure if it made a difference. The amount I paid tax on was over 20K, maybe that was good enough? Andrew

You do need an apprasial, use the MTO copy and any used car dealer can fill it in, done 3 this year, 69 Valiant, 81 pick up and 75 power Wagon, the used car dealer way always cheaper and still keeps the MTO happy.

If you do end up needing the appraisal, I use a guy nearby that does it for me for @ $25. He's very reasonable on the values as well. Enough to keep MTO from getting suspicious. I agree on the smaller villages being more lenient. Faster too. PM me if you need a phone number.

Jim

All dealership's are registered with the ministry of finance and can provide the appraisal you need, a simple one page form, all the MTO wants to see is a price and MOF registration number on the form. If it's over 20 years old they have no "book value"

If it's over 20 years old they have no "book value"

Yep, and god forbid the gov't lose out on a couple bucks on a used car deal. Just another hoop to jump through so we can enjoy our old cars.

Yes it is true you do need an appraisle done which then determins how much you have to pay in taxes on the car. Then once that is complete you can get it licensed. I have had a 73 Dart Sport and a 72 Duster that I had to get appraised before I could get them licensed.

Thanks for all the help people.

My Duster is now in my name after I got the quicky appraisal. No problem at all at the MTO today.

Now to get all my required fixes for the safety done and the other improvements for its debut in 2009!!!

The Big E
PS. I've cut and pasted my homemade list of what I need for parts and repairs to get it into A1 shape...if you fellas know of any guys with these parts near London send me a PM!!! It would be neat to find a donor car with a fancy black interior to get everything out of but that's unlikely! I wouldn't really care even if it's a Duster or Dart or Scamp or a 70...just with black parts that are in good shape.

-better front seat
-better back of back seat(no rips)
-rear package tray
Put back in headliner into rear window moulding and up front
Washer bottle(2 hose connectors hopefully) and all tubes and jets needed, currently have 2 hoses going to foot pump?
Duster decal for back
Glove box inside
Am/fm radio
Rear window defroster/defogger
Ammeter gauge
Get gauges working
Get wipers working
Get trunk mat and cardboard cover
Get trunk lock with key
New/better front grille, sharktooth ideally but big bucks
Seatbelts work, but are rusty & old style(2 separate pieces). Fine in back, but up front need a newer set with lap and shoulder belts all permanently attached in one buckle
Look for build sheet under carpet
Get horn to work
Battery tray or at least one arm and battery hold down setup(it’s just loose there)
Does license plate light work?
Driver inside door lock missing (not sure how much is gone?)
Sun visors torn up
Both arm rests damaged
Fix dome light (need cover)
No brake lights
No left turn signal(just stays on)
Hazard light pull switch
Mirror is rusty & no night time switch
Missing both pipes from heater motor to defrost vents
Heater motor housing is taped shut & loose
Slant 6 choke setup, completely absent, even set screw for choke(California thing maybe??)
Check fuses, need extras of old glass type
Need at least 2 floor rubber plugs, one under spare one under rear passenger seat feet

Big E, for the glove box liner, package tray, washer bottle, trunk mat as well as other items, check out "NOS reproductions" they are in Komoka, Ont. ( 1-800-667-6200 ask for Chris) close to home for you.http://www.nosreproductions.com/index.php?link=home, what I like about it is you can actually touch and feel the mat'l, better then buying based on a picture. The grill I can also help you with, I saw a great shape one late this fall, it was like new, I think I can get it for around $100. (if he still has it).

Good luck!

Giles

-
Back