Playmate Edition Pink? Is this real?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
999 paint code does not mean that the car or cars in question were some sort of special edition cars. 999 is the factory code for paint that was not offered. If you owned a taxi cab
Company and wanted furys painted a color that was not offered by Chrysler that year, 999 was the code on the fender tag. I belive Omaha orange was like that on 69 runners
Unavailable color in 69, but some dealer or zone rep made it happen by ordering whatever the minimum amount was for SO paint.

Color was AA1 silver when intoduced in the 66 model year. In 65 was a SO paint, hence th e 999 code.

i wasnt sure if it applied to 66 models. but you are exactly correct. the 999 code was for any model that was not painted with standard available colors. the car in question showing the 999 code could have been painted foghorn leghorn flourescent blue for all we know. it certainly doesnt make any more valuable. im not positive, but i believe the color would have shown up on the broadcast sheet

There was an AMX one year given to a Bunny I think Mopar action did a story on it

Attachments

• FH020011.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 194
  • FH020012.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 230
  • FH020010.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 207
This from Wikipedia:

In 1968, Mary Kay Ash purchased the first Pink Cadillac, where it was repainted on site, by the dealership owner, to match the Mountain Laurel Blush in the compact.[40] It was such a good rolling advertisement that Mary Kay Ash decided to reward her top five producers, by providing them with a Pink Cadillac paid for by the company in 1969.

Obviously, if this is true, the 66 Barracuda can't be a Mary Kay car because the cars program hadn't been introduced yet. Since the 66 Playmate car was a Dodge Charger, it's unlikely that any Plymouths were painted pink for any Playboy promotions.

These pink cars could have been a dealer promotion aimed at selling Barracudas to the ladies.

There was an article in Mopar Muscle a few years back about a 999 code 68 Cuda wearing Ford Hugger Orange. I know back then if you wanted your car Purple with yellow Polka dots the dealer would do what they could to make it happen.

All I can tell you about the color and how it was sold came from my in-laws. I met my wife 31 years ago and, at that time, her father called the color of the car they bought brand new, Playmate Pink. He was also an avid "reader" of Playboy at the time. That was his reason for buying that car.

The picture posted on the first page of this thread also lends credence to that. That is a vintage picture (looks like Manufacturer or dealer plates on the car).

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back