Please Don't Believe Everything You Read (on the internet)

-

dibbons

Reaction score
MSN article 04/28/2019 (Popular Cars From Every Decade) written by Erica Corbin:

erica.png

Wow, I can't believe I was wrong all these years. Ford Firebird, I'll be damned!

Jeff

Those old 73 super duty cars, were good runners.
A neighbor 2 houses down had a super nice 4-speed one in the early 80's it was a nice car.
He blew the original 455 up one night coming home from a rock concert, he said he was cruising around 120 when the harmonic balancer came off and put a big dent in the hood.
We went up to the local junkyard and pulled an engine out of a 68 gto, it was a 400. Freshend the engine up with a fresh valve job, on the original super duty heads, rings and bearing and stuck it in the TA.
It still ran good, but that 455 really had some ***, way more than the 400.

I recall having that same issue on a couple different Goats I knew. Caught both of them in the rattling stage. One of them a Ram Air IV 400 4 spd. After replacing the balancer I did a tune on it. After a smokey :rolleyes: test drive I returned it to the owner. ":wtf: Did you do to my car? That thing is scarey!" "Dude ... That's the way it's sposed to run." :D

My brother bought a 70 Ram Air IV 4 speed out of Iowa with 40k original miles for 13k !
1 owner that was stored in the same barn all its life. Had a bench seat in a Judge ! Jim Wangers told him it was likely 1of 1...
Wife threw a fit cuz he had too many cars and he sold it 3 months later for 24k.
Luckily I got to drive it ! Really nice survivor !

Oh ... 1 year later one went across the block at Barrett for 195k

Those old 73 super duty cars, were good runners.
A neighbor 2 houses down had a super nice 4-speed one in the early 80's it was a nice car.
He blew the original 455 up one night coming home from a rock concert, he said he was cruising around 120 when the harmonic balancer came off and put a big dent in the hood.
We went up to the local junkyard and pulled an engine out of a 68 gto, it was a 400. Freshend the engine up with a fresh valve job, on the original super duty heads, rings and bearing and stuck it in the TA.
It still ran good, but that 455 really had some ***, way more than the 400.
Back when I was driving a st hemi/66 belvedere , a 455 firebird tried to pass me on the 4 lane , guess who won that one ?! Embarrassed him so bad he passed on the shoulder when I came up behind a dump truck and slowed down .

My brother 68 Bird runs 11.10s in pure stock looking trim. It is impressive !
You MN guys would recognize his car from BIR or Rock Falls

And "Trump's a racist"....oops! Couldn't help myself.....Internet is like a published conversation. It doesn't have to be true to be published. Didn't the 455 SD (HO) have like 500 ft/lbs torque?

Last edited:
Back when I was driving a st hemi/66 belvedere , a 455 firebird tried to pass me on the 4 lane , guess who won that one ?! Embarrassed him so bad he passed on the shoulder when I came up behind a dump truck and slowed down .
Do you remember the first Firenza that GM sold. It was built in the U.K. with a small 4 cylinder engine. My friend bought one for his wife and then they divorced so he grabbed a 2.2 ltr engine and really beefed it up putting out over 300 HP. He beat a 455 Bird so bad they guy actually put it up for sale. He went through the speed traps at Watkins-Glen at 133 mph.

Do you remember the first Firenza that GM sold. It was built in the U.K. with a small 4 cylinder engine. My friend bought one for his wife and then they divorced so he grabbed a 2.2 ltr engine and really beefed it up putting out over 300 HP. He beat a 455 Bird so bad they guy actually put it up for sale. He went through the speed traps at Watkins-Glen at 133 mph.

Heard they were a little peppy, never really around one. They weren`t big atround here , and always broke .

And "Trump's a racist"....oops! Couldn't help myself.....Internet is like a published conversation. It doesn't have to be true to be published. Didn't the 455 SD (HO) have like 500 ft/lbs torque?
Only the "Ford" 455 had that kind of torque.:lol:

You did make all this up, right? The Olds Firenza was first sold in '82 and it was not built in Europe, it was built on GM's new "J-car" FWD platform. Like a Chevy Cavalier. In other words, a shitbox. They never even had a 2.2L engine. There were 1.8L, 2.0L, and 2.8L engines available. They were all economy car engines. All pushrod engines, and all basically the cheapest crap GM could make. "300 hp" only in someone's fantasy world.

reads like it was bot written

You did make all this up, right? The Olds Firenza was first sold in '82 and it was not built in Europe, it was built on GM's new "J-car" FWD platform. Like a Chevy Cavalier. In other words, a shitbox. They never even had a 2.2L engine. There were 1.8L, 2.0L, and 2.8L engines available. They were all economy car engines. All pushrod engines, and all basically the cheapest crap GM could make. "300 hp" only in someone's fantasy world.
upload_2019-8-8_16-25-13.jpeg

It was actually built by Vauxhall U.K. but imported by Pontiac

-
Back