Please explain backspace to me

-

bumnround

Reaction score
I have seen different things. 15x6 wheel no offset, does this mean 3" on either side of center? 15x6 with 4" backspacing, does this mean 4" on inside and 2" on outside? Thanks in advance. Greg.

wheel_fitment.jpg

From the flat face of the hub where your wheel sits to your innermost part of the wheel.

For instance I need a backspace of 7.5 inches to fit fat tires on a stock a body rear end with minitubbed wheel housings.

This gives me a not so deep dished wheel because my axles have not been shortened, but I have a 12.5" wide tire in there.

100_3010.jpg

Jegs and Summit sell backspace measuring tools that you can get for less than $100.
It may be a good investment when deciding on what wheels you can fit in there because if you simply "guess" on what you think will fit and order them, you are stuck with them as most places won't take them back which is why so many wheels end up on ebay.

Here's one for $69 from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Percys/760/01201/10002/-1&parentProductId=761153

Thanks snake.

The easiest way to measure your wheels backspace is to set the wheel face down on the floor.

Lay a straight edge flat across the inner lip of the wheel (facing you) and simply measure from the straight edge to the flat hub area where your wheel bolt holes are, the hub face....that's it.

Thanks for the schoolin guy's. I got a 67 formula notch, but it's not as cool as that one. Nice ride cudaspaz.

-
Back