Please give me your opinion...

-

DroVal

Reaction score
As the title states I am just looking for your opinion. My father started making lamps and clocks and a few other items out of car parts for a hobby. He toyed around with quite a few ideas before he passed away and came up with some really neat stuff. Some of it not so neat, lol. I don't have pictures of everything he put together, but here is just a few.

I have been considering picking up where he left off to see if I can make some extra money. His intent was to try and sell these items at swap meets, ebay, and possibly his own site, but he never got to that point before he passed away. Anyway, be honest and let me know what you guys think. Have ya seen this type of stuff before, are there any legal issues with any of the name brand parts, etc. Thanks in advance for your input. Will post more pics as I find what I what I did with them, these are all I have right now, but there was more.

Attachments

• P1000038.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 213
  • P1000040.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 221
  • P1000042.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 204
  • P1000035.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 217
  • P1000027.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 219
Not sure about legal issues but I know I like it. Some good creative work. Good luck with it.

Very cool stuff! I don't know about the potential legal issues. It's not like you would be selling the lamp as an "Edelbrock Lamp". Call it the Carb Lamp or something like that - you should be ok.

Very imaginative, people buy that stuff up because it's unique. Corporations normally don't waste there time going after the little guy making one-offs using their stuff, they go after the people mass producing for copyright infringement.

Cool, thank you for the feedback. He had a few other lamps put together that were great looking, but I can't find the pics. Still hunting for those.

Very cool. I have made hub cap clocks for my shop and garage but that lamp is truly unique. And you can buy new 2 ,3, and 4 inch shades also. lol

I like them. I would be more concerned with liability than legal. For example if the lamp were to start a house fire. The trade names are not copies they are just an unusual use of a product. Doesn't make it illegal to sell if its real.

Thanks everybody, my Dad would have been thrilled by the responses. Still trying to locate the other pictures. Unfortunately we gave all of this stuff away to friends of his after he passed away, so I can't just redo the photos.

I'm liking the distributor cap clock. Maybe find a more modern clock face and make a stand to prop it up on an angle. Your Dad made some cool stuff.......:cheers:

i really, really like that lamp!!! its soo cool!!! i dunno, somethin about it! very neat! :D:D:D

I'm liking the distributor cap clock. Maybe find a more modern clock face and make a stand to prop it up on an angle. Your Dad made some cool stuff.......:cheers:

I think the dizzy cap clock is cool too! Would be cool to have a Mopar tan one! Neat stuff, there would be a market for this stuff, especially at car show swap meets.

The lid on the box comes off on this one also, meant to be kinda like a trinket box as well.

Very cool stuff! I think your dad had vision. The distributor cap clock, carb lamp and valve cover clock are all very cool. Don't sell that carb clock too cheap. :)

yeah some pretty neat jobs on the go ,really orignal what kind of a price tag you got on the dis-cap clock?????

Thanks again for the responses on this stuff! I have been giving it a lot of thought and am going to start recreating some of this stuff. Will holler when I have some finished.

As far as the clock I'm not certain what he was thinking price wise on the dis-cap clock. It wouldn't have been one his higher priced items.

Very cool stuff! I think your dad had vision. The distributor cap clock, carb lamp and valve cover clock are all very cool. Don't sell that carb clock too cheap. :)

Thanks! The nice thing about the carb lamp is that there are so many options on this. Carb choice determines price on this one.

Speaking of getting started with this stuff, one thing my father wasn't able to pin down was a good supplier for cheap used carbs. Anyone have any ideas on this that might help? I'm not sure how extensively he looked, but i remember he wasn't thrilled about car prices from some of the local salvage yards.

You might just put an add out for carb cores. I would think 20-50 bucks would be a fair price for a core since it's actual ability to function doesn't really matter.

-
Back