Please Help Identify wires on harness - 68 Barracuda

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to ask so many questions....I'm all jacked up and suffer from CRS (Can't Remember ****).....

1968 Barracuda

PLEASE help me identify these connectors on my under dash harness.....items 3, 5 & 8 have more than one plug.....

Also on the back of the dash are these 2 items...one has a single pin and the other has 2 pins. I don't see anything on my harness that is supposed to connect to them? They are right above the speedometer.

I swear - once I get it back together, I won't take it apart again and ask all these stupid questions.....

This will be my wiring thread to end ann threads!

Thanks guys...!

:coffee2:

I'll take the easy ones...if I remember correctly!
#1. dimmer switch
#5. steering column-turn signal,hazards
#8. amp gauge
these are my guesses from taking stuff apart...25? years ago.
Good luck! Bob

I'll take the easy ones...if I remember correctly!
#1. dimmer switch
#5. steering column-turn signal,hazards
#8. amp gauge
these are my guesses from taking stuff apart...25? years ago.
Good luck! Bob

Thank you. ....that's a great start!
How do I wire the amp gauge? It was never connected when I got the car.....
Just 1 terminal on each side or does the polarity matter?

Please go to MyMopar and download the appropriate service manual...........free.......Then examine the wiring diagrams which have the wire connectors "shape" and wire colors.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

For some years, you might have to settle for Dodge instead of Plymouth, etc, and there may or may not be a diagram associating the Ralleye cluster changes. "But most" of the info is going to apply

Take 9 for EG. I can't tell what shape the connector is and cannot determine the wire colors from your photo. You need to take individual closeups of the connectors

No4, the pink and white are the brake switch. I believe the male black is the parking brake.

Just a wild guess, no8 might be the odd cluster connector, which goes to 1 and 2 in your other photo

Take 9 for EG. I can't tell what shape the connector is and cannot determine the wire colors from your photo. You need to take individual closeups of the connectors

No4, the pink and white are the brake switch. I believe the male black is the parking brake.

Just a wild guess, no8 might be the odd cluster connector, which goes to 1 and 2 in your other photo

Thank you! No idea how much I appreciate the help.
Coresponding close ups coming!

Jeff

You can probably figure most of it out just by starting to put it together. Plug in the obvious things based on connector shape and proximity. Then, based on wire length, there's only so many places everything else can go. Then, as 67Dart has said in EVERY post he has ever replied to, look at the free diagrams available. There wont be that many things left. If you have 1 or 2 oddballs, post a close-up photo here with a description of what side its on, what its near, etc. and someone will then have an answer.
As an example, IF 1 is dimmer switch, 2 would probably be the connector that goes to rear of car (for taillights, dome light etc.) (see if that plug fits), it sure aint gonna fit the radio, the headlight or wiper switch etc. It can all be narrowed down real quick like that.

Connectors in circle #8 are for the ammeter. The red one goes to the post on the back of the circuit board labelled "red" then the black one goes to the other terminal for the ammeter...

Trace the circuits in the engine compartment wiring diagram in the 68 service manual in the back of chapter 8 on page 8-112 & 8-113

I'm guessing #7 is for the door switch... Yellow wire...

You can probably figure most of it out just by starting to put it together. Plug in the obvious things based on connector shape and proximity. Then, based on wire length, there's only so many places everything else can go. Then, as 67Dart has said in EVERY post he has ever replied to, look at the free diagrams available. There wont be that many things left. If you have 1 or 2 oddballs, post a close-up photo here with a description of what side its on, what its near, etc. and someone will then have an answer.

The matter of proximity is very true. ....
As for wiring diagrams, I have them and even bought a color laminated version. ...but damn I get all screwed up reading them.

Close up pics are on the way in a moment.
And I PRO MISC to share any and all this information with all them numbnuts that come after me....don't want to put you guys through this twice!

Jeff

Scrub the back of teh circuit board with some 00 to 0000 fine steel wool to clean up the brass on the connection before installing the dash lights.

My guess #3 = Horn Relay, but just a guess until I look it up.
oops-NOT. Probably Hazard light switch.
BUT the connector with Red, Orange, Green to the right of number 8 in first photo should go to the pins on cluster you have marked 1 & 2 (high beam, instrument lights, & left turn)--What KrazyKuda said.

If #1 has three connectors I would bet it goes to the foot dimmer switch. Check to see if the connector matches the prongs on the switch...

I believe that the connector circled in white goes on all three of those "pins" on the circuit board that are circled in white. The parts in each picture circled in white go together. Look at the connector and look for a two pin and a space and a one pin...

View attachment 1714866127

View attachment 1714866128

Thank you! You're on the money with that one! I just went and checked it out....connects right up!

You guys are great....! :coffee2:

Here are close up pics of the connectors...tried to get wire color in the pics as well.
I'll call them "Photo 1" etc for reference.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Photo 10

Photo 11

Photo 12