please help me with a heads question

-

TomSchichtel

73 Duster
Reaction score
I have X heads on my 360 motor and I'm guessing that it is running bad all of the sudden because a washer from my carb linkage is missing and I think it may have slipped down the EGR port in the head. I found the cotter pin right next to the EGR "hole", so I believe that the washer slipped down there.

Is this possible? It is making a bad knocking noise from one of the middle 2 cylinders that it may have made it to. And maybe if your wondering, my intake manifold leaves a large gap so that something could fall in there.

Thankyou for your time

no gases don't seem to come out, and the gap isn't the reason for it running so terrible all of the sudden as it ran like a champ just this morning, and past few years.

The "large gap" you see after the intake is bolted on goes nowhere. I'd guess it is for heat expansion. The port in the middle of the "large gap" is your heat crossover hole. It's connected to the exhaust port on the outboard side of the head, goes through the head, and connects to the matching "heat crossover" passage in the intake manifold, IF USED.

If you left the EGR valve port uncovered, you'd have a huge, noisy, not to mention hot exhaust leak, as well as a gigantic manifold VACUUM leak.

thankyou for the knowledge, I will stop calling that EGR from now on :) So you would think that a washer dropped down the heat crossover hole would cause lots of knocking?

Nah, nothing falling in there can hurt it. But if those two holes are making noise, pull the spark plugs and look at them, and pull the valve cover and look in there...

-
Back