Please read my bearings

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
Before we start, I want to say that I worked in a couple big boat yards for many years in my late teens and early 20's where I repaired, maintained and rebuilt all types of machinery, engines and equipment. Fast forward 40 years after a career in the construction industry, in my retirement I'm strong into Mopar.
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 318 and have some questions about my bearings.
The number 3 main bearing has some wear and I found what may be the missing pieces in the oil that I drained and stained before starting, I also so found a good amount of "silver" as well. The left rod bearings have some noticable wear, where as the right rod bearings have significant wear and appear to have an almost copper look, which probably explain the silver oil which I'm assuming is babbet from the bearings. The wear on the sides of the number 3 main may have something to do with improper end play ?
The rest main bearings including the 3 look pretty good on the rotation surfaces and all the rod and main journals look pretty good too.
I'm wondering what is going on with the right and left discrepancies?
Next is the numbers and relationship to sizing and to some pohtos.
On the rod bearings I see a 010 which means oversized or under sized, I'm not sure which?
The main bearing have sequential numbers that relate to the rods with no +/_ nomenclature.
Yes, I could look in the service manual or buy a book, I'd really like to hear it from one of you more experienced guys that know, as a healthy discussion
sometimes uncovers more questions in addition to answers.
Thanks

20230814_092424.jpg

20230814_092357.jpg

20230814_092722.jpg

20230814_100906.jpg

Before we start, I want to say that I worked in a couple big boat yards for many years in my late teens and early 20's where I repaired, maintained and rebuilt all types of machinery, engines and equipment. Fast forward 40 years after a career in the construction industry, in my retirement I'm strong into Mopar.
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 318 and have some questions about my bearings.
The number 3 main bearing has some wear and I found what may be the missing pieces in the oil that I drained and stained before starting, I also so found a good amount of "silver" as well. The left rod bearings have some noticable wear, where as the right rod bearings have significant wear and appear to have an almost copper look, which probably explain the silver oil which I'm assuming is babbet from the bearings. The wear on the sides of the number 3 main may have something to do with improper end play ?
The rest main bearings including the 3 look pretty good on the rotation surfaces and all the rod and main journals look pretty good too.
I'm wondering what is going on with the right and left discrepancies?
Next is the numbers and relationship to sizing and to some pohtos.
On the rod bearings I see a 010 which means oversized or under sized, I'm not sure which?
The main bearing have sequential numbers that relate to the rods with no +/_ nomenclature.
Yes, I could look in the service manual or buy a book, I'd really like to hear it from one of you more experienced guys that know, as a healthy discussion
sometimes uncovers more questions in addition to answers.
Thanks

View attachment 1716127634

View attachment 1716127637

View attachment 1716127640

View attachment 1716127646
crank has been turned .010 , thrust bearing not installed with enough clearance or too little oil ....

I bought the motor used, mostly because it had a 904 trans attached to it and I needed the accessories for a Magnum project I'm working on. Looking at it I kind of figured all that, as I said earlier, I have just enough stored knowledge to be dangerous. A couple of the cam bearings were wiped as well and the oil pump drive was pretty stiff to say the least and had to be driven out. It seems as though someone worked on it and forgot a few steps along the way.
Thanks

Is the motor from 1973 model year??
The thrust bearing is way worse on one side, more than the other. Was the really bad side facing the damper end of the motor, or the converter end of the motor??

Is the motor from 1973 model year??
The thrust bearing is way worse on one side, more than the other. Was the really bad side facing the damper end of the motor, or the converter end of the motor??
Imma say it is a 73 motor as the previous owner took it from a 73 Satellite and the casting date is 12/2/72.
The significant wear is on the back or converter side.

I've seen a coupla main thrust bearings like that.
Blue with heat, and literally stunk of burnt oil .
That one was a marine inboard/outboard, the Penta out drive replacement had a longer imput shaft and was cinched in with the bolts, pushing the crank forward enuff to wipe the thrust right out.
The other was a Sears replacement engine that installer didn't know pilot brg had to be removed for converter, same result, burnt blue .
We were Engine warranty depot for engine builder .
Good luck

The thrust surface is galled. Check that corresponding surface on the crank. It might need to be welded up and machined back to stock. The numbers on the bearings are date codes and the oversize of the bearing (undersize of the crank journal)

-
Back