Please take a minute to tell me if my plan is correct or not

-

sbmopar318

Reaction score
Ok so I have never done quarters so until I experience I'm a little intimidated by the process. My understanding is if I order these Body Components - Quarter Panel - Quarter Panels for my 1972 scamp I will want to place it over my exsisting quarter and mark. Then come in 2" all the way around and remove that material. This leaving me with just the outer edge of the quarter attached from factory spot welds. I will then drill out those spot welds including the ones hiding under and lead in the sail to fully remove the original piece. I then will make and inner wheel well repairs and place the new quarter on making new welds in place of the old factory welds. While ensuring proper allignment with doors and trunk. I hate doing things for the first time that are crucial. Because you always comprehend it so much better after ripping it apart. Please comment thank you

Ok so I have never done quarters so until I experience I'm a little intimidated by the process. My understanding is if I order these Body Components - Quarter Panel - Quarter Panels for my 1972 scamp I will want to place it over my exsisting quarter and mark. Then come in 2" all the way around and remove that material. This leaving me with just the outer edge of the quarter attached from factory spot welds. I will then drill out those spot welds including the ones hiding under and lead in the sail to fully remove the original piece. I then will make and inner wheel well repairs and place the new quarter on making new welds in place of the old factory welds. While ensuring proper allignment with doors and trunk. I hate doing things for the first time that are crucial. Because you always comprehend it so much better after ripping it apart. Please comment thank you
?

Yes that is a solid plan,take your time it takes a while to get all the spots loose,

Yes that is a solid plan,take your time it takes a while to get all the spots loose,

IF you only have, say, rust in the bottom 5" of the quarter, up to the weelhouse, your C piller, door jamb and trunk reveal area is good, you may find it easier to cut the new quarter down to a patch. Getting the gaps correct at the back glass and door jamb is time consuming. Also, sometimes the new metal stampings slip a bit in the die when they're made. Do not expect them to fit like a glove.

IF you only have, say, rust in the bottom 5" of the quarter, up to the weelhouse, your C piller, door jamb and trunk reveal area is good, you may find it easier to cut the new quarter down to a patch. Getting the gaps correct at the back glass and door jamb is time consuming. Also, sometimes the new metal stampings slip a bit in the die when they're made. Do not expect them to fit like a glove.

Thank You

If your installing a new quarter all the way to the door jamb, check door hinges ( especially drivers door ). Doors need to be properly aligned to the OEM assembly before its all cut apart. Then the door can serve as a gap and line guide.
Worst screw up I recall seeing was a rocker skin replace on a chevy pickup. When he hung the door on it wouldn't close.

If your installing a new quarter all the way to the door jamb, check door hinges ( especially drivers door ). Doors need to be properly aligned to the OEM assembly before its all cut apart. Then the door can serve as a gap and line guide.
Worst screw up I recall seeing was a rocker skin replace on a chevy pickup. When he hung the door on it wouldn't close.

And also don't forget to check the trunk lid for fitment too.

And also don't forget to check the trunk lid for fitment too.
Check everything... twice. Another member put quarters on his B'cuda and later found they were a tad too far spread. The rear bumper wouldn't reach/fit. Luckily that bumper has a slight bow so flattening to spread it a little made it fit. We can assume that's what the factory workers did too. Minimal adjusts are available everywhere but we gotta be within their range of adjustment. Aftermarket parts may or may not land within that range.

Check everything... twice. Another member put quarters on his B'cuda and later found they were a tad too far spread. The rear bumper wouldn't reach/fit. Luckily that bumper has a slight bow so flattening to spread it a little made it fit. We can assume that's what the factory workers did too. Minimal adjusts are available everywhere but we gotta be within their range of adjustment. Aftermarket parts may or may not land within that range.
Take your time and screw it together before you weld it. Keep your eye on all the gaps.Use weld through primer when welding a panel over the top of another.

When I did the quarter on my car, I just sliced it off about an inch below the factory spot welds. Used a grinder with a flapper wheel on the spot weld areas to wear through what was left of the quarter panel. That way I didn't have a bunch of holes everywhere. When I slid the quarter in place and got everything aligned, I used draw clecos to hold it in place. Installed the trunk lid, door, and rear valance to make sure of the alignment. Then started meltin metal. I like plug welding them on because the finished product look damn near like a spot weld.One thing to do before starting this project is to put the car in one spot and shore it up, and level it out. Don't rely on the way the car sits on its suspension.

I can recap on what I did and how mine turned out. I didn't do it myself and enlisted help, I am still not sure if, looking back the guy that helped me made the right calls. What we did was similar to what you are saying, we trimmed the new quarter down to fit with the seam just in the middle of the first two body lines coming down from the top. This is the body line that is approximately 1 3/4" and narrows to about 1 5/8" at the door jamb. We didn't go into the door jamb, we stayed 2-3 " back from it , also we didn't go into the sail panel. We did go around the back corner of the car, as well as replaced trunk extensions.My only gripe at this point is, the warpage between the 1 3/4 to 1 5/8 body lines at the top of the quarter, I will be able to straighten the issue out with filler, but it is time consuming. I d not know if it would have been better to stay below this narrow area. For all I know straightening the warpage would be worse in the wider area of the quarter.

-
Back