Please tell me the best fit small block headers.

-
...could you feel 15 - 20 hp?

Yes, more so on lower powered engines. Feels like the difference between a crap running car and one with a really good tune up and then some, but just some. Not a ton.

Owned cars and installed both Dougs and tti.

Save money by Dougs. If you can get them using the autozone 20% off deal, makes a coated set around 500 US.

Best advice right there.

Are you racing? On the street and depending on the size of the engine the impact on anything under 4500 RPM give or take is virtually zilch.

You have done something wrong!

If headers don't help below 4,500 rpm, your carb tune-up is way off of the headers are too big!

Or something more serious!

Yup..threw the manifolds and the thermobogs right in the trash!!

Well, at least you got half of it right....:banghead: :glasses7:

on a mild engine headers gain about 10 hp, see the dyno test by Steve Dulcich. Back in the day when I dumped my manifolds for 1 5/8" headers I went .1 secs quicker in the 1/4, with carb rejetting

Yes, more so on lower powered engines. Feels like the difference between a crap running car and one with a really good tune up and then some, but just some. Not a ton.

Best advice right there.

You have done something wrong!

Or something more serious!

Well, at least you got half of it right....:banghead: :glasses7:

Thanks Rob,
I have been really debating the header deal.
I have 68-70 340 mani's with factory dual exhaust.
It runs nice but was wondering would it be worth it.
The 318 is stroked to 390ci,with a decent cam etc.Runnig eddie heads pretty much out of the box.
I have an MSD set up with 8mm wires and the 6al2 box. 750 double pump quick fuel carb on top of RPM intake. 8 3/4 489-with 410's and 275-60 Nitto drag radials.
It hooks awesome and pulls nice.
I'm just an almost 50 year old fart that likes to pound pavement and hopefully get to the track once a year.

all of the mags at one point did a comparison to HP manifolds and headers, difference was marginal on a mild build. I have 68-70 manis on the 340 you sold me. I had them cleaned up a bit to make sure the matched the heads, so far they work fine. Nice looking headers have some curb appeal I guess though. I thought that motor was supposed to be stealthy.

all of the mags at one point did a comparison to HP manifolds and headers, difference was marginal on a mild build. I have 68-70 manis on the 340 you sold me. I had them cleaned up a bit to make sure the matched the heads, so far they work fine. Nice looking headers have some curb appeal I guess though. I thought that motor was supposed to be stealthy.

Hey Wally,
It is stealthy indeed.but you know the sickness...I want MORE!!! lol..

Soooo... Who has changed from 340 mani's to headers and found a huge difference?
I need someone to tell me it's well worth it..
Thank you all!:cheers:

Soooo... Who has changed from 340 mani's to headers and found a huge difference?
I need someone to tell me it's well worth it..
Thank you all!:cheers:

don't hold your breath, and if someone says there is a huge difference ask for time slips, not seat of the pants, like when my car is faster after I wash it. dyno says 10hp, and I say .1 second in the 1/4 mile = 10hp - not worth $1000 where I come from. and my 11 second 360 has 1 3/4" Hookers that cost $350 in 1985

don't hold your breath, and if someone says there is a huge difference ask for time slips, not seat of the pants, like when my car is faster after I wash it. dyno says 10hp, and I say .1 second in the 1/4 mile = 10hp - not worth $1000 where I come from. and my 11 second 360 has 1 3/4" Hookers that cost $350 in 1985

On a 390inch SB engine making 450hp... the difference will be more than 10hp.

I think the best FITTING headers hands down are the Summit cheap headers. They hang low and you might have to ease a tube or two off the torsion bars.

But there will be NO having to dent or crush tubes and they will not scrape if you run the car at least at the stock ride height and have stock diameter tires on the front.

I had them on my 71 Dart and they never scraped or hit anything. Car had power steering.

what size pipes did they use on the dyno to make 450 hp. when we play with different sizes on the dyno it is like plus and minus 5 hp

-
Back