Plowing gravel

-
Reaction score
Just got done with my BBP disk brake swap and new tires and wheels. Finally time for its new parts maiden voyage. As soon as I start pulling out of the garage I can hear the car moaning and popping. I get out to look at it and the tires are kicked out to the front on either side! Totally out of alignment. When I was driving down the driveway it was just plowing gravel. I got the car put back up but is there anything I can do to get it good enough to get it to the shop? I didn't change anything with the tie- rod ends but did change upper control arms with new bushings. Just bolted the cam bolts in place too because I have now idea what I'm doing. Thought it would be good enough to get me down the road but I guess not. Appreciate any help as I think I could just mess it even more if I just get under there and start adjusting stuff.

Just use a string line from the back of the rear tire to the front if the front tire. I set about 1/16 th inch toe end on each side by adjusting the tie rod ends. Do this without jacking the car and you will be good to go.

if you changed the upper control arm bushing..you need to set the camber..

If all you need to do is "get it to the shop," Just eyeball it

Get it on a flat (in the garage) surface, and adjust the tie rod sleeves so that the steering wheel is at least close to centered, and the tires point straight ahead. Just look straight down at the tires from above and eyeball 'em. If this does not satisfy you, you can use 4 soda cans. Two on each side, to jack a 2x4 or other scrap up enough to get up above the tire bulge.

For your upper control arms ,there are cams at the frame mounting area.:if the eccentric portions (egg shape) are all put back in the same position- like with the high spot pointing straight up you will at least have them in a neutral position. The best idea of course is to mark the frame/body and a spot on the cam before it's taken apart but sometimes you can tell where the cams were by the imprint they left.And the other info is good about "roughing " in the toe settings -make sure the steering wheel is straight across, set the front wheels of the car down on a stack of plastic garbage bags and turn the tie rod sleeves until the front wheels point straight.From the front ,eye ball the 2 inner edges of the front tire to the center of the rear tire-it will get you in the ballpark.

-
Back