plug a hole - manifold

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
Airgap has a stripped out hole for temp sensor - don't need this hole anyway, don't have ability to tap and plug - would JB Weld not do the trick or another recommendation ?

I would think the JB would fill and be fine - but never done it. Wait fer other opinions.

If the manifold is off, take it to a auto machine shop. I can't imagine it being more than $30 for a drill and tap to the next largest size. Probably getting it heli-coiled would be the better route. It just depends on your needs.

A heli coil is stronger than the OE hole and will last a long long time.

I'd get a bolt or a plug that fits something close to the correct thread size and has a shoulder on it to stop it from ever falling into the hole. Then just thread and glue it in with jb weld. Keep in mind to use the jb weld sparingly, it will flow before it sets up, and will form a puddle inside the manifold. In any event I'd remove it from the engine if its installed to insure no issues like this happening. If you do that you might as well tap it and repair the hole properly. But that's your call !

Tap it then install a bolt with loc-tite (spelling?) all over the threads.

Because I'm a sick bastard: "Tap that thing and drill your sticky bolt all the way down"

A heli coil is stronger than the OE hole and will last a long long time.
I've never thought of that but it makes sense, as long as you get a decent heli-coil. Good tip.

Helicoils are not designed for pipe thread... As the threads seal on that, it will leak. Have it tapped and stick a pipe plug in it...

Isn't the temp sender a fine thread or course thread? I don't remember it being a pipe thread; and I ain't gonna pull mine out to satisfy my curiosity!!!

Helicoils are not designed for pipe thread... As the threads seal on that, it will leak. Have it tapped and stick a pipe plug in it...
Not trying to start an argument here but they do make helicoils for pipe threads and they do work fine with a little sealer. I do not know if they make them that small though, the smallest I have ever used is a 3/8.

Thanks all - Airgap's installed and I ain't pulling it off so I'll look into tapping and plugging. I'm using a hole just adjacent (right of) this hole for the temp sensor, just had to pick up an adapter from Home Depot plumbing to make it work. Believe it or not, I've never had to tap anything out - nor have I used helicoils, guess that's why I was considering alternatives.

-
Back