Plug readers: What would you do??

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Setup:
Gen3 Hemi racing motor NA 13.5:1 compression running on 110 racing fuel which has purple dye in it.
Holly Sniper 4500 TBI fuel injection and Mopar Drag Pak intake. Ported Eagle heads. Brisk ER14S plugs.
After 5 passes it slows down by 20 numbers and the plugs look like this:
left bank (2468):
LeftSide.jpg

And they look like this after a quick clean with a wire wheel:
LeftSideCleaned.jpg

Right bank (1357) Looks like this before cleaning:
RightSide.jpg

I clean them all and put them back in and the car runs it's number again.
1. Too rich?
2. Why the difference between banks?

Would you clean them and keep using them (what I've been doing) or replace them (these plugs aren't cheap, $180 for a set and there are only 2 companies making a cold enough plug for this motor) or something else?

Why do those plugs look so old. I can run a set of plugs for over three years and they don’t look that worn.

Those plugs are beyond reliable use .
New plugs, - you may pick up a bit .
Great ignition system, I kinda would have expected some misfire outta them.
jmo

wire wheeling won't clean the porcelain properly, i'm kind of shocked you aren't getting random dropped cyls.. As far what what's causing it.. no idea but i would be carrying a lot of spare plugs :)

BTW.. i am not against cleaning and reusing plugs, they make small portable spark plug sandblasters specifically for the job that will clean them properly.. just make sure they are 100% free of any sand down inside before putting them back in

Setup:
Gen3 Hemi racing motor NA 13.5:1 compression running on 110 racing fuel which has purple dye in it.
Holly Sniper 4500 TBI fuel injection and Mopar Drag Pak intake. Ported Eagle heads. Brisk ER14S plugs.
left bank (2468):
View attachment 1716122298
View attachment 1716122299
View attachment 1716122300

1. Too rich?

Would you clean them and keep using them (what I've been doing) or replace them (these plugs aren't cheap, $180 for a set and there are only 2 companies making a cold enough plug for this motor) or something else?
It looks like the ground strap and electrode are eroded, even on the better running side. Like mentioned, I would lean towards new plugs first.

Those electrodes are worn terribly. Look at how rounded the edges are. They have sharp, crisp, square corners when new or in good shape. Those are hideous. As for what's causing the one bank to look all crusty, if I had to wager a GUESS......you won't like it. I'm thinking a compromised head gasket.

Setup:
left bank (2468):
View attachment 1716122298
View attachment 1716122299
View attachment 1716122300

1. Too rich?

If 1 whole bank is different from another in a pushrod engine, typically I would say there is a head gasket issue. Cam doesn't care one side or another, TBI on a single plane intake shouldn't care side to side either. If coil over plug set up, then possibly a harness issue to those coils.

According to Brisk, the 14 is not cold. It is to the hot side of center.

According to Brisk, the 14 is not cold. It is to the hot side of center.
Interesting. i started out running 12's with this combo years ago, but on advice from a competent nationally known engine builder I switched to 14's on this build. I wonder if I should go back to 12's?

To those who were thinking head gasket, I was thinking the same thing. since it only happens after the engine has heat soaked, I guess I should test it with a hot engine.

Interesting. i started out running 12's with this combo years ago, but on advice from a competent nationally known engine builder I switched to 14's on this build. I wonder if I should go back to 12's?
I'll be damned if I'd run those overpriced trinkets. Champion or any other brand will have plugs that will work just fine. Remember, STOCK Max Wedges had 13.5:1 and ran Champion plugs.....and WON a boatload of races!

Last edited:
I'll be damned if I'd run those overpriced trinkets. Champion or any other brand will have plugs that will work just fine. Remember, STOCK Max Wedges has 13.5:1 and ran Champion plugs.....and WON a boatload of races!
Please direct me to a cross reference table that will do Brisk to Champion or Brisk to NGK or Denso or something cheaper.

I gap my plugs close (.028-.030) and I never see this issue I’m pretty sure I put my AR3911 Autolite plugs in my 408 that I had in my 422 for five years. Why waste money.

All that chart is is heat range.
Correct. That's all you need. Just look up a stock plug in each of those brands and change to the proper heat range represented in the chart!

When I saw the first plug I thought it must have been sitting in an engine with water in its cylinder, looks rusted.

-
Back