Plug welding holes?

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
Ok, while trying to remove my upper radiator support, ive punched through some of my spot welds, leaving big holes. Ive seen plug welds inwhich you put a piece of metal hehind a hole and then fill in the hole, but this is different. How do i fill in a hole without something behind it? Someone at work gave me a piece of copper and said i could use this as backing, will this work? Thanks for any advice.

Copper will work as a backing as steel won't stick to it. Don't try holding it there with your thumb though. lol!

You can fill a hole without something behind it but it's a difficult method to explain, but easy to show. It basically involves having the piece with the hole vertical, starting at the top and adding weld, stopping, waiting for it to just cool enough where it's dark red, pull the mig trigger again, etc. When filling holes, bump up your wire speed a bit too.

Practice makes perfect. Try filling the the same size hole on some scrap metal first before you blow a hole in anything irreplaceable.

if there is nothing behind it just add a bunch of little spot welds to the edge of the opening and it should come together just don't try to do it all at once or you'll make the hole bigger... no pressure :)

I've cut small pieces of sheetmetal and held them into the hole with a magnet, then weld the small piece in. It kinda disappears.

Thanks abunch, all very helpful ideas. Now im a little less nervous. Ill pratice on some same size holes on my scrap piece of metal.

I tried the magnet thing too but if I got too close to the magnet with the welder it did STRANGE things the weld bead.

Don't use flux cored wire get some .024 solid wire or some JW Harris 20-Gauge wire. The JW Harris has a powered metal core it welds really nicely and wont blow through sheet metal. perfect for repairs.

Ya, just hammer some copper tubing flat and it works great. Your local plumber will have a few nice scraps......
Actually, after you have practiced on a few holes in scrap metal you will find it to be fairly easy to weld 3/8" or smaller holes with no backup.

-
Back