Plymouth Valiant 61 Manual upgrade query

-

Jason Maitland

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering, what is the best, recommended manual box upgrade for an existing 3 speed floor shift, in a 61 Valiant behind a slant6 without cutting/chopping any of the body? Whilst it is currently a 170, I'm also thinking to drop in a 225 at same time...
Thanks Jason

That's a good question, Jason. I have a 64 with the A903 3 speed and I attempted to put a later A230 3 speed in and it will not fit the tunnel. Do you know which transmission you have? It is probably either the A903 like mine, or the A745.

Sorry, I should have specified this is in a car I'm looking to purchase... From my research they were designated "230" nomenclature, but I'm sure you know better than me!

Sorry, I should have specified this is in a car I'm looking to purchase... From my research they were designated "230" nomenclature, but I'm sure you know better than me!
I guess it's possible as you're in a different country, but here, the A230 didn't appear until late 60s or maybe even 1970 as far as I know. Having said that, if it is indeed an A230, then the A833 4 speed will fit where it is, with the proper bellhousing and clutch linkage, of course. I would endeavor to verify the A230, though.

I guess it's possible as you're in a different country, but here, the A230 didn't appear until late 60s or maybe even 1970 as far as I know. Having said that, if it is indeed an A230, then the A833 4 speed will fit where it is, with the proper bellhousing and clutch linkage, of course. I would endeavor to verify the A230, though.
Ahhh seems that's where I'm getting my wires crossed... I'm looking a car stateside, so you should be on the money with what you said first... So that means we both still need to try and find out what manual trans, if any will fit as.an upgrade? ...Another question I had, will a 904 Auto fit without any tunnel mods? That way you could retro fit (potentially) a Lokar type floor shift kit I was thinking

Ahhh seems that's where I'm getting my wires crossed... I'm looking a car stateside, so you should be on the money with what you said first... So that means we both still need to try and find out what manual trans, if any will fit as.an upgrade? ...Another question I had, will a 904 Auto fit without any tunnel mods? That way you could retro fit (potentially) a Lokar type floor shift kit I was thinking
I would highly recommend finding out what transmission you have first. Who knows? And yes, the proper 904 will fit. When I say proper, I mean the push button early (64 and prior) transmission. The later linkage shifted transmission I'm sure could be made to fit, just know you may need to modify the transmission tunnel. I am not certain. I am getting ready to do a Tremec 5 speed swap in my 64 and I am basically going to have to cut the transmission tunnel out and refab a new one. If I can do it, anyone can. lol

FYI- I just spoke to a parts vendor here in Oz... He informs me that we can indeed upgrade to an Oz later model 3 speed with all syncros from later Aussie model Valiants... So I may just go that route!

FYI- I just spoke to a parts vendor here in Oz... He informs me that we can indeed upgrade to an Oz later model 3 speed with all syncros from later Aussie model Valiants... So I may just go that route!
Awesome! That means the floor and transmission tunnel must have room for it. Keep us posted on your adventures.

I struggled with the top-loader A-903 in my 64/225 for a few years. Column shift, non-synchro first gear and the pin-type synchro was not pleasant.

I recently swapped in the correct early 4 speed. Really nice but for the mostly cruising I do, the extra gear isn't needed. The A-903 is about 75% of the A833 in weight and size though. A floor shift cinversion would gave

If I was in your situation, I'd get the car first and evaluate it after driving awhile. Some kind of overdrive would be nice unless you think the price if petrol will be coming down. Then if you want to upgrade, go with the Aussie bits for sure. Most likely far cheater and easier to get parts down the road. (Nice pun there)

-
Back