Points Distributor - What's This???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
What is this large contraption attached to the vacuum advance pot on this old points distributor? The distributor is off a 400 FWIW. Thank you.

upload_2021-2-16_19-30-23.png

Oh Nooo! You Better Delete This Post! That's Super-Secret Underground Tech that the Gubm'nt doesn't want Us to know about!

Srry, had to...

I think it's a retard relay. I have a REALLY big one.

Thing is "they changed" that stuff about every year. The vacuum pot is indeed solenoid retarded, so yeh, I'd guess an associated relay

The ones I'm familiar with had a contact on the idle screw, some used an idle solenoid, so that when the thing was down on the idle stop, it grounded and engaged the retard solenoid. Unless you are doing a "restore correct" or need it for state law..........you don't want any of that...........

Lmao.
Rusty, I didnt know you liked... "Mr. Heat Miser...Mr. 101°"

Thanks guys. I've never seen a vac advance relay like this before. I'm assuming I can just ditch it and replace it with a normal vacuum advance pot with no ill effects? I was thinking of using this distributor to get my 400 running. I'd just need a ballast resistor and coil.

Alternatively, I've got a MP electronic distributor and extra HEI module I may wire up instead. I just need a coil for that one.

"..Whatever I touch, melts in my clutch.....I'm too much!" I loved those holiday shows.

Yep.
I used to make my hair like his, running around as a kid, refusing to go to bed, lol.
Simpler times, no doubt.
Went by too fast.

Thanks guys. I've never seen a vac advance relay like this before. I'm assuming I can just ditch it and replace it with a normal vacuum advance pot with no ill effects? I was thinking of using this distributor to get my 400 running. I'd just need a ballast resistor and coil.

Alternatively, I've got a MP electronic distributor and extra HEI module I may wire up instead. I just need a coil for that one.
Seriously, Show that pic of the distributor to @halifaxhops, he may know a bit about it.

Thats one of Mopar's finest right there. Used on the HP 383, some 400 and 440 mostly RR and Chargers. Works like a regular vac advance but has a solenoid for 5 degree retard when shutting down to avoild dieseling. Think about it the ignition is off. Dump it and get a regular vac advance unless your doing a high end 100 point restoration. Not cheap to replace 150-450 depending which one it is.

Last edited:
Oh so you know when looking for a normal vac advance you need one with a straight arm. Think the one you have is a 9L.
Vacuum advance big block.jpg

Last edited:
Thats one of Mopar's finest right there. Used on the HP 383, some 400 and 440 mostly RR and Chargers. Works like a regular vac advance but has a solenoid for 5 degree retard when shutting down to avoild dieseling. Think about it the ignition is off. Dump it and get a regular vac advance unless your doing a high end 100 point restoration. Not cheap to replace 150-450 depending which one it is.
Correct. Both my 71 Charger R/T and GTX had that.

Thank you for all of the info. What's the difference between those vacuum advance pots? Is one for points and one for electronic ignition??
Different years usually but not only. Dont ask me if there is a rhyme or reason with them, I have seen either on the same number distributor. The straight arm is hard to find. I get mine rebuilt since they are so hard to fine. And a 50 year old diaphragm is bound to break.

That is another benefit of living on the left coast, more antipollution **** to make your car run bad. Never saw that living with normal people on the right coast.

-
Back