Poll Engine Color

WHAT COLOR SHOULD I PAINT MY SMALL BLOCK

• Total voters
-
I can't decide. My 66-273 should be red but won't look good If I paint my car burnt orange. Black would look good but would hide the black valve covers for the HP-273's. I think it should be painted body color. ???? toolman

My engine bay was/will be the original 67 bright red body color. The original engine is orange but I think an orange/red combo wouldn't look good. I am thinking black engine with the bright red engine bay but have not made a final decision.
DR

Ours is blue at the moment but it will suck with a plum crazy engine bay..perhaps silver or black ?

Grassy

The Chrysler red is more like a red-orange. I like the way it looks in a gold engine bay.

Me too.
000_0016-1.jpg

Orange looks the best unless you paint your car orange or red.

engine014sm.jpg

springfling08003.jpg

CIMG0627web.jpg

engineinstall025.jpg

headers018.jpg
that carbon fiber is sexy lol. i did mine hemi orange with all the coolant stuff black and black valve covers. i think the orange seems like more of a muscle car color then that blue. but red looks old school like your 66 so i would say red but accent it modertly lol

pulled my 360 for a refresh ,
have used the mopar race hemi orange for a long time ,looking for a little better quality paint /but still want to have the hemi orange color
any suggestions
thanks

pulled my 360 for a refresh ,
have used the mopar race hemi orange for a long time ,looking for a little better quality paint /but still want to have the hemi orange color
any suggestions
thanks

RustOleum. Best engine paint I've ever used. Their colors are very accurate too. Chrysler red looks red and Hemi orange looks Hemi orange. Unlike some other paints that aren't the correct shade.

BTW: I bought it at Autozone.

ive never had good results with spray can paint on a motor,,, i have a few friends that were using paint from HIRSH,, i tired it,, its great,,, you may be able to get rattle can from him not sure,,,, i used it in a quart can,,,brushed it on,,the brush streaks flow out cant even tell,, you can also pour it in to your spray gun,,,do a search for hirsh engine paints,,or ill try to get info

A friend has a black Duster with a yellow engine yellow small block. Looks great.
If you're building to factory specs, go red. But if you're building to your own spec, it's your call.

ive never had good results with spray can paint on a motor,,, i have a few friends that were using paint from HIRSH,, i tired it,, its great,,, you may be able to get rattle can from him not sure,,,, i used it in a quart can,,,brushed it on,,the brush streaks flow out cant even tell,, you can also pour it in to your spray gun,,,do a search for hirsh engine paints,,or ill try to get info

Have you ever tried RustOleum engine paint? It's only been out a year or 2. I've never had very good results with spray bomb engine paints either until I tried the RustOleum. It seems to be the exception to the rule of spray bomb paints. Of course with any paint job good prep work is paramount. JMHO

tried a few different paints /that work better than mopar spray but they seam to be off a shade or two
gona look into the hirsh paint

We will probably using green.. Lime green actually. It will not clash with the purple as most other colours and white and black are out.

grassy

What color do you guys think i shouldi paint my 273, red reminds me too much of chevy for some reason
Why? chevys are orange.Go on almost any chevy site and see.Chevy had orange before mopar hemi orange.Sorry orange guys but your engines look like chevys.Red thats the color you want.You could always paint it Chrysler comando gold.It is one of the forgotten Chrysler engine colors. Mark

Attachments

• warer pump& housing.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 621
  • AAAA0005.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC00630.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 580
Why? chevys are orange.Go on almost any chevy site and see.Chevy had orange before mopar hemi orange.Sorry orange guys but your engines look like chevys.Red thats the color you want.You could always paint it Chrysler comando gold.It is one of the forgotten Chrysler engine colors. Mark

man your right that cammando gold looks killer,,,,

I liked the alum.look.But now everthing black .alum.head's and all.

Attachments

• 257.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 594
  • 100_3588.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 565
  • 100_3587.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 100_3586.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 585
If the original color is Red, paint it red...if that's what you want to do.
But in my mind, any performance oriented Chrysler engine HAS to be Hemi orange

Agree. My 68 fish has an orange 340 and when I pull the engine to paint the car (WW1 white) it will stay orange.

-
Back