POLL: what do you guys think of silver

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
my son came home from work last night and we went out on the front porch and started talking about painting his 73 Dart Sport. I asked him if we could have everything he wanted to do on it ready to paint in 2 months. He looked at me and asked what is special about 2 months. I told him he needed to set a goal to work towards to get this ready. so we have set a date to put this car in color on 9/14/13. now he still has not decided on a color but he told me that he painted a car yesterday with a nice looking silver color on it. he is going to bring home some paint chips tonight and possibly select a color........MAYBE. I got him a six pack scoop for it for his birthday and we are going to put it on soon. the hood and scoop will be painted a matte black. I am going to get side stripes from challengergary for it in matte black. I think silver may be a classier look than maybe orange or yellow or black. what do you guys think this car will look like a silver color. Knowing him it may not just be regular silver. I am thinking he will probably put some pearl in it of some kind. let me know what you think here. Bill

Attachments

• DSC04565 (Copy).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC04566 (Copy).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC04562 (Copy).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC04597 (Copy).jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 299
Some of the new silvers are real nice . The metallic is much larger then years ago. I thin the right silver would look great with the matte stripes. Don't go cheap or thin on the clear. and add some flake in the first coat of clear then load the straight clear on top and block between coats. The stripes will look like they are floating on the car.

I think silver is a good choice, I have contemplated it for mine too. Just not sure yet.

Some of the new silvers are real nice . The metallic is much larger then years ago. I thin the right silver would look great with the matte stripes. Don't go cheap or thin on the clear. and add some flake in the first coat of clear then load the straight clear on top and block between coats. The stripes will look like they are floating on the car.

Some of the newer silvers are very nice. I like the darker silvers. Silver was one of the colors that I was tossing around for the Dart.....Was just concerned how silver would like with the chrome bumpers. Keep in mind window trim being what it is as well. I think part of the reason I liked some of the newer silvers was because the entire car was that color.....no chrome bumpers etc.

Silver is always a classy choice, and one of my favorites. Black AND silver is my all time favorite combo!

with him being a painter, I know he will not go cheap on whatever he puts on it. he gets the stuff at cost. he may go with waterborne paint. He sprayed my Duster with DuPont Chromabase. We have talked about respraying my Duster over the winter with the Waterborne paint and spicing it up a bit. I don't know if I am ready for that yet.

Silver is sharp, just make sure it's painted correctly because silver streaks if not applied right!!!

Some of the new silvers are real nice . The metallic is much larger then years ago. I think the right silver would look great with the matte stripes. Don't go cheap or thin on the clear.

My thoughts exactly. A quality silver with nice sized flake and a healthy clearcoat will look like a million bucks. I almost wished I painted my Dart silver instead of black......almost. One thing that I've always worried about, and that is that so many silvers seem to go to hell if left out in the weather. Don't know why, or if that is still the case with the newer paints/clears. I don't leave any of my cars out in the weather anymore.

Silver is nice for a Honda or Toyota. A silver Duster will receive a lot of "nice Nova" comments IMHO.

I like the high impact Mopar colors myself. Dare to be loud.

I think Silver would look good on it but I'm kinda partial to Silver since my Duster is (or was) Silver/Black.

Use the viper gts silver. Nice color that doesn't need any additional flake. Unless you plan on putting some Dayton wire wheels and curb feelers on it, heavy flake looks stupid.

73 Dart Sport 340 A5 Silver Frost Met.

Attachments

• i3894 (640x533).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 220
  • side view 2 (640x480).jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 205
..on a new van it just screams "old people"
On a muscle car it looks classy...especially trimmed out in matte black!

If he wants silver then he should paint it silver.

Silver wouldn't be my personal choice. I can't recall a silver car winning any trophies at the shows I have been to. I don't see nice silver cars getting the attention that a lesser quality car tend to get at the shows either. Maybe it is because silver cars look too much like the primer gray cars. Most of the trophy winners have been high impact colors but maybe things are different in your area of the country.

in my eye silver is only a shinny gray.
Gray car on a gray road on a gray day. Can you see it now ?

I did a 73 Challenger dark silver and black. Nice combo. It was going to have red interior but I sold it last month.

Challengerrestoration158.jpg

-
Back