polyester primer?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
the dart in my small herd i'm working on now, I have some areas I want to try polyester primer on. it has been down to bare metal, filler applied, apoxy over filler , coat of high build urethane primer,...... question if does this poly stuff need certain amount of time to possibly srink.??
I understand it is like spraying body filler. I do not intent to put it on too thick. I want to see if it will do better filling some pitted areas, and some places that I would just like to be able to level better than with the high built primer..
all comments appreciated.

I have used it lots. It dries slow to begin with so you have to give it fairly long flash time in between coats maybe 30 min. but I have sanded it the next day with no shrinkage problems. I have used evercoat Slick sand and love it.

somewhere I had also read it could be used as a substitute for epoxy primer?? just wondering about that? I use the epoxy primer first and end up reducing it as a sealer. epoxy will stick great to anything I know, I assume the polyester must have similar sticking ability.??
I use products from the calif TCP people as I have reactions to anything not low VOC.

I use slick sand for a lot of things. Works great. I found when I shot it over dp90 that it softened up the bottom coat.Had to sand it all back to bare metal. Feather fill is for shooting over dp90 and the like.

I was at the local paint store yesterday. and asked about the polyester primer. he said, be careful with it over self etch primer. some times this stuff and epoxy don't like each other. he told me to sand it and topcoat right over it. I will shoot some tomorrow weather permitting.

taking a break!!! lunch time. I did just finish shooting the polyester primer. I also bought a new ( inexpensive off course) hvlp gun from I think TCP global. I got it with a 2.2 nozzle. the other gun I used for high build urethane has a 1 .8 seemed like I couldn't get it like I wanted. ( maybe too much pressure and not enough volune?)..... cheap pressure reg at the gun, the one at the compressor is basically worthless!! LOL
I see I have a few spots that still need attention. I think I will put some high build urethane there. I know I don't want the polyester too thick. I have blocked some of those spots till i'm dizzy!
coffee's ready!!!

HF purple guns work good too, you can get the bigger nozzles if you call them up.

HF purple guns work good too, you can get the bigger nozzles if you call them up.

where do you call?

I've looked for the numbers (and not found them) to call for extra o-rings for the purple gun but surely would like to get a 2.2 nozzle for my spare backup primer gun.
those darn purple guns are great for primer guns ( I usually buy a couple every time they go on sale to give out to my friends to try out on primer. they love em too now.

-
Back