Pomona NMCA event

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Went out to the NMCA event at Pomona today and ran the Dart in the True Street Class. My three run average ET was a 13.15 That was not even close to a win for the 13.00 index class. Think the winner averaged a 13.04 I ended up around mid pack of nine or ten cars in the 13 second index.

Check out this Duster it was bad ***, number 2 qualifier in it's class. They were only running 1/8 mile in the pro class because of track conditions. Not sure if I remember the ET, It may of been around 4.19 in the 1/8th or in that general area. Sorry about the bad phone picture. Just thought it was pretty cool to see an "A" body running good in the top pro class out there.

Besides the 100 degree heat and the overbooking of the event with cars it was a good time. Lot of nice Mopars out in force. That was nice to see.

Attachments

• Bad *** A body.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 236
Thanks for posting,Z.Just to see a turnout like this,a shot of adrenaline for Cali racers.Sorry,you didn't place better.

Cool car. I didn't know Pat Musi did Mopar engines. Didn't Joe Lepone drive Pro Stock back in the day?

I don't get out to the races on a regular basis, but I must say. The NMCA pulled in some cool cars for this event. I should of took my camera and took more pictures. That little yellow 89 Toyota truck in the back round of the Duster picture he was running 8.80's et in the 1/4 in that thing and it looks nearly stock.

Found another picture from the friday test and tune of the Dart launching:D

Attachments

• Tire air.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 145
Cool car. I didn't know Pat Musi did Mopar engines. Didn't Joe Lepone drive Pro Stock back in the day?

I believe Lepone did drive P/S. Musi has done some Mopar stuff before, I got the chance to chat with him when he was down here racing this winter, and I asked him if that was a Dodge motor in his Stratus and he basically told me that those 700-900" engines don't use any parts made by any of the big 3, everything is aftermarket, so you can pretty much call them anything you want.

NMCA showing some love to the Mopar A body check out the true street section on their web page nmcadigital.com

Attachments

• NMCA picture.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 165
Good job running in the 100F kind of heat that was at Pomona this past weekend.
Inland Mopars Car Club was the Host Car Club for the car show portion of the event, but one of our club families was running in the drags. Here's a pic of there nice yellow Duster on the Pomona quarter-mile

View attachment IMG_9046.jpg

There were about 50 cars in the car show on Saturday and maybe 40 on Sunday. We had a great group of old race cars out both days in the show.
Although the NMCA sold out the drag racing portion of this event, they need to do a better job of promoting the car show portion so it will grow to what their midwest and eastern events are.

I don't know if you had a chance or not on Saturday to witness one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a drag race, and certainly not at an event the caliber of the NMCA event at Pomona.
Several of us were up in a suite on the 2nd level of the control tower building looking directly down the strip. A clean black '66/'67 Chevelle rolled out the staging lanes to make a run down the strip. Obviously a street only car but nice and clean and certainly not a race car. It must have been the poor guys' very first attempt at drag racing because he didn't have a clue about how to line his car up and stage. The track workers must have spent over five minutes explaining what he needed to do and finally got him lined up, staged and ready to go.
The tree counts down, turns green, and he's sitting admiring the pretty color! Finally he's off down the strip on his run. Nothing earthshaking but straight down the strip.
Straight turned out to be the key word here because he got to the finish line and kept on going...straight down the entire length of the shutown road and into the sandpit! Granted, Pomona doesn't have an excess of shutdown length but way more than enough for any doorslammer.
They had to shut the racing down while they pulled the Chevelle out of the kitty litter. Chevy people! He was a good source of amusement for the rest of the weekend.

I don't know if you had a chance or not on Saturday to witness one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a drag race, and certainly not at an event the caliber of the NMCA event at Pomona.
Several of us were up in a suite on the 2nd level of the control tower building looking directly down the strip. A clean black '66/'67 Chevelle rolled out the staging lanes to make a run down the strip. Obviously a street only car but nice and clean and certainly not a race car. It must have been the poor guys' very first attempt at drag racing because he didn't have a clue about how to line his car up and stage. The track workers must have spent over five minutes explaining what he needed to do and finally got him lined up, staged and ready to go.
The tree counts down, turns green, and he's sitting admiring the pretty color! Finally he's off down the strip on his run. Nothing earthshaking but straight down the strip.
Straight turned out to be the key word here because he got to the finish line and kept on going...straight down the entire length of the shutown road and into the sandpit! Granted, Pomona doesn't have an excess of shutdown length but way more than enough for any doorslammer.
They had to shut the racing down while they pulled the Chevelle out of the kitty litter. Chevy people! He was a good source of amusement for the rest of the weekend.

He ran right in front of me. I talked to him on the return road before the second run. Guess he had never been to Pomona before, missed the turn out and was in the dirt before he knew what happened. They let him run the second round and he left all kinds of dirt and rocks on the track. After that they refused to let him make the third pass. Nice guy, really nice car, just don't think he had much experiance on a drag strip.

Here is the car on the second run. It looked much better when it was clean.

Attachments

• IMG_9094.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 151
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

poor guy...how embarrassing....

That Duster is BAD A$$

-
Back