Poor Man's Rear JIG

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
I'm trying to weld my Axle Tubes, and yes I'm trying to pinch pennies where I can to help save for that "GAS" that the Dart will eventually be sucking down. Is there a way to get the tubes aligned for welding without spending a small fortune on a Jig?

One idea I had was to a length of pipe, or perhaps tacking on angle iron onto the individual tube sections, to hold them in alignment, and then welding up the seam. I could then cut the tacks, and finish the weld. Also, would leaving the Angle iron on the top of the top add to the stability (in case my welds suck :)....)

Thanks to everyone for sharing your awesome Mopar knowledge here on FOAB :read2:.

There's always a way. A straight edge and a couple framing squares clamped together might work. The heat will draw the tubes so you'll need 3 or 4 tacks to hold them befroe welding around. A back brace will add strength and hold them in place too.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what Moser charges to cut and shorten the tubes on an & 3/4 housing to A Body specs? Reason I ask is I have an 8 & 3/4 housing from a 69 A108 van I parted out and it's definitely longer than the A Body housing. Does Moser have a space at the Nationals?

The guy that cut my tubes built pro-street cars, and he cut the tubes for me. I would imagine that shipping costs today would probably well out pace the machine work. I had been given estimates of 150 - 225 to cut and weld the tubes back together from a welding shop in my area. My Rear had to be shortened almost 9 Inches (similiar to your situation), and they took off 4" from the left and 5" from the right to get the pinion offset right.

You could try getting a long piece of all thread and some cones. Take the all thread put down thorugh the center of the tubes and tighten them from the ends. You really need to center them on the center chunk for it to be in line. That is the way the shop did mine.

We have guys around here that will shorten rears for 50-100 and I live in the high priced labor capital of the land.

I may be buying a fixture/jig set up to do this or having a friend with a lathe spin out the required pucks, as I have about 5-8 rears to do.

As long as they use a jig properly, you should be fine.

-
Back