Poor quality parts ruining the hobby for me

-
Thanks, pishta! That's good to know. I usually use the OEM mechanical fuel pump, but for the Weber carburettors I am reworking for my current project, I need high volume along with low pressure. (Just as with the old Stromberg 97s, Weber needle and seat requires max inlet pressure of 3-1/2 PSI.) So in order to avoid using a fuel pressure regulator, I bought a Carter electric pump that is supposed to have same max pressure as I need.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

We, the American buying public, have been conditined to buying cheap crap Imported parts, ever since manufacturing has been sourced out to China and Mexico. We now have few choices. We have finally learned that cheap means we generally get what we pay for,... crap, substandard junk, BUT it was cheaper.
Had we rather save our pennies and pay $500 for a quarter that fits or $150 for junk!? Wait, that $500 quarter is ill fitting junk also!!!!!! (just an example!)... SAD

I have to agree. I put a brand new brake proportioning valve on my sons Monte Carlo and had trouble with it leaking 2 times in 6 months. I ended up going to a junkyard and getting a good used stock one so no more troubles. I cant believe the crap parts out now.

Those of us old enough remember the days when you shopped at a local Parts Store where the Parts counter guy was usually the owner and was there every time you walked thru the door. Knew what the hell they were talking about and sold GOOD quality parts. You didn't shop price, Your parts man was fair to you and only sold you what you needed. There is a damn Burger King now where my parts store use to be since about 1975.

Those of us old enough remember the days when you shopped at a local Parts Store where the Parts counter guy was usually the owner and was there every time you walked thru the door. Knew what the hell they were talking about and sold GOOD quality parts. You didn't shop price, Your parts man was fair to you and only sold you what you needed. There is a damn Burger King now where my parts store use to be since about 1975.
I remember those days...but I also remember getting faulty parts right out of the box back then too.

I once took a Chrysler factory starter back 3 times before I got a good one about 40 years ago.

It’s too easy to think the “good old days” were really that much better. Reality is, they weren’t.

Cars were only built to last 100k miles and most were getting major mechanical work at 50k miles...or less. I was replacing factory rear axle bearings on my Dad’s ‘66 station wagon at 40k miles and had to rebuild the entire front end on my Mom’s ‘64 Dart at around 30 k miles.

Believe what you want...but I have a different perspective based on my experience.

I remember those days...but I also remember getting faulty parts right out of the box back then too.

I once took a Chrysler factory starter back 3 times before I got a good one about 40 years ago.

It’s too easy to think the “good old days” were really that much better. Reality is, they weren’t.

Cars were only built to last 100k miles and most were getting major mechanical work at 50k miles...or less. I was replacing factory rear axle bearings on my Dad’s ‘66 station wagon at 40k miles and had to rebuild the entire front end on my Mom’s ‘64 Dart at around 30 k miles.

Believe what you want...but I have a different perspective based on my experience.
I disagree, I put a new crate engine in a friends 97 K-15 chevy, Put a new NAPA water pump on it, he drove to our hunting camp while there water pump completely grenaded. Took out radiator,fan, belt, pure China crap. And the new Chevy 350 grate engine? after 50k miles fouls #6 plug about every 90 days. The original 350 I took out had 329K on it and though you could tell was tired, still ran pretty good. Say what you want Parts quality today is ****.

I've experienced so many disappointments with poor quality replacement parts for my '71 Swinger that it is ruining the hobby for me. It was 1992 when I completed my last top-to-bottom restoration, at that point on a 340 'Cuda. Back then more factory parts were available (duh!) but most significantly the aftermarket, such as NAPA, could still supply good quality replacement parts. No more. These quality failures have been discussed at length in other sections so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm just P.O.'d. And I can't believe that companies are allowed to sell safety-related components, such as brake and suspension parts that are pretty much 50% defective when new in the box. It's one thing to buy a poor fitting door panel but quite another to have brake distribution valves leak before even put into service, bad master cylinders, defective ball joints and so on.

All I can say is Rant Rant Rant. It is such a shame. Seems like MAGA will not include the old car hobby.
There are certain "TV Shows" that apparently dont have any problems getting the correct quality parts?

At least I'm not alone. I did take some advice from these comments. I found an original Chrysler brake distribution valve and rebuilt it. It doesn't look quite as shiny on the outside as the two new Inline Tube units that leaked, but inside it must be good because it doesn't leak. And something else: With my experience disassembling the original valve I compared the internals to the 45 year old Chrysler part and they look close but not exactly the same. I am not sure this was the problem but certainly suspect. I also recently located a correct Chrysler master cylinder from 1971. I will rebuild that and feel more confident that my brakes will be there when I need them.

We used to say, why rebuild an old used 40 yr old OEM part, just buy a new one"!!! I bet our thinking is changing!! The "reality" car tv shows???, HA.. ever time I watch one, I wonder how many miles someone will put on the over priced car before something fails! Holywood BS!!??? OK so I don't pay the $$ to get roadkill!?? LOL

New water pump on the Ramcharger leaked out the weep hole right away. Got to do it again, went to a different parts store and got their "new lifetime warranty" water pump, so far so good.... only been a couple of weeks though :D

-
Back