Popping and stuttering after Efi install and rebuid

-
That is unfortunate. It also likely happened because the transmission was on it's way out anyway.
At cruise with light throttle, the pressure from the linkage is barely applied.

That is unfortunate. It also likely happened because the transmission was on it's way out anyway.
At cruise with light throttle, the pressure from the linkage is barely applied.
I tend to agree with you regarding your second sentence but not the first one. If you are aware of how a torqueflight works you can absolutely drive one without the linkage hooked up and make it live. But under even normal driving scenarios, and an operator who doesn’t understand what the throttle pressure linkage does, without it the trans will quickly go away. My trans was rebuilt by a local shop about 2000 miles prior (and working flawlessly) before my linkage fell apart and killed the trans. I know when it happened because the throttle stuck, and I whacked the pedal, shut it down, opened the hood, fixed the throttle linkage, but neglected to notice the ball on bell crank back by the firewall had come off. I was a dumb 17 year old and had zero knowledge of how a torque flight worked. The guy that rebuilt the trans (and I tried to blame for the failure) quickly educated me about how important the throttle pressure linkage is.

I absolutely agree that without it adjusted properly, failure can occur. I don’t know you nor your skill and level of experience so please forgive the grilling.
I just see many people repeating things they hear without knowing nor understanding what they say. I’m guilty of that too, of course.
The original issue at hand though… I usually thought that popping in the exhaust also happens from raw fuel in the exhaust stream igniting. A misfire would send unburned fuel out the exhaust valve and maybe igniting in the manifold.

I absolutely agree that without it adjusted properly, failure can occur. I don’t know you nor your skill and level of experience so please forgive the grilling.
I just see many people repeating things they hear without knowing nor understanding what they say. I’m guilty of that too, of course.
The original issue at hand though… I usually thought that popping in the exhaust also happens from raw fuel in the exhaust stream igniting. A misfire would send unburned fuel out the exhaust valve and maybe igniting in the manifold.
I didn’t take it as a grilling, we are all trying to help here. I think we all can agree that the throttle pressure linkage is important for a torqueflight to operate properly.

I have FiTech on my 414. It would backfire because the adjustable distributor rotor would come loose.

-
Back